Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
From the middle of the world
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The '67 stang that I'm restoring has this 2 hood vents that face rearward just a bit rearward of the radiator, and inside each of them thre are what looks like stop lights or something, they have ligth bulbs in there and remains of a wiring harness.

What were this gizmos for?

How are them connected, I mean when do they are supposed to turn on?

Don't they disturb the driver? they point towards the windshield.

there are remains of a crude paint job over the lenses so I can't know what color they were.

Thanks.

Augusto.

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
I know Ford had a hood light assessory that used a mercury switch to come on when the hood was opened, but nothing like what your describing.

·
Cox Custom Cars
498 Posts
Those little lights were connected to the turn signals. They were a big deal in the day. Dodge, Plymouth had them on the front of the front fenders.

Frank

·
Registered
337 Posts
The car has the option called a "Deluxe hood". Turn signal indicators in vents, basically. Very popular option in 1967 and 1968. You hardly ever see a driver of one of these going down the highway with a turn signal on for ten miles. The hood indicators are hard to ignore. The vents probably provide a small benefit in relieving underhood heat and air pressure at speed. Likely not enough to be useful though.
All the parts to replace and or restore a Deluxe hood are available from vendors like National Parts Depot. The "grills" in the vents are made of potmetal and tend to warp and crack at the joints. NPD even sells improved grills that have some extra reinforcement where the originals all seemed to crack.
Downsides:
1. Obviously a Deluxe hood costs more to restore than a plain hood.
2. Most Mustang fans agree, Deluxe hoods are fine, and the re are lots of good looking hood scoops. But when you try to combine them it just doesn't work. Makes the hood look too "cluttered" or something.
3. Deluxe hoods include some very distinct body lines. These lines clash with the most popular stripe styles. Including the top of the list "Shelby" stripes.
Best for the owner to choose; plain, modified, or Deluxe.

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turn signal lights???? ha ha... I would of never thought of that, weird but kind of cool, yea I bet you'll never forget to turn them off.

what color were the lenses? since only those are damaged by the paint I can easily fabricate new ones.

and now the trick question, of how many watts the original bulbs were?

any links to pics of this gizmo?

thanks for the input.

Augusto.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
From-

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_0608_1967_ford_mustang/index.html

Another interesting tidbit we gleaned from Marti was that the turn-signal hood was not available as a stand-alone option, coming only as part of a larger option package. A case in point was the Exterior Decor Group, which beyond the hood, included the likes of wheelwell moldings, trunklid trim, and a pop-open gas cap. Sports Sprint is the only other package Marti is aware of to include the turn-signal hood in '67, ringing the till at a paltry $35. Better still, Marti reports that adding air conditioning to a Sports Sprint model netted the trim package for free. In other words, Sports Sprint was a pretty inexpensive way of adding pizzazz to a basic Mustang; in fact, it was just $19.41 more than rocker moldings by themselves.

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot, that picture pretty much tells a thousand words.

I appreciate the time you took to look for a pic and posting it here, thanks again.

Augusto.

·
Ed S.
123 Posts
Pretty sure it's a 1895 bulb.

If it's just paint on the lens try soaking them in Pinesol to lift the paint off them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The car has the option called a "Deluxe hood". Turn signal indicators in vents, basically. Very popular option in 1967 and 1968. You hardly ever see a driver of one of these going down the highway with a turn signal on for ten miles. The hood indicators are hard to ignore. The vents probably provide a small benefit in relieving underhood heat and air pressure at speed. Likely not enough to be useful though.
All the parts to replace and or restore a Deluxe hood are available from vendors like National Parts Depot. The "grills" in the vents are made of potmetal and tend to warp and crack at the joints. NPD even sells improved grills that have some extra reinforcement where the originals all seemed to crack.
Downsides:
1. Obviously a Deluxe hood costs more to restore than a plain hood.
2. Most Mustang fans agree, Deluxe hoods are fine, and the re are lots of good looking hood scoops. But when you try to combine them it just doesn't work. Makes the hood look too "cluttered" or something.
3. Deluxe hoods include some very distinct body lines. These lines clash with the most popular stripe styles. Including the top of the list "Shelby" stripes.
Best for the owner to choose; plain, modified, or Deluxe.
In my memory, the optional hood vents (including the yellow turn signal indicators), were not available until mid-year with the car sometimes referred to as a 1967-1/2 model. I believe the side vents also changed. Does this ring a bell???

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my memory, the optional hood vents (including the yellow turn signal indicators), were not available until mid-year with the car sometimes referred to as a 1967-1/2 model. I believe the side vents also changed. Does this ring a bell???
my amigo, this is a post I made 12 years ago, I don't even have the car now, but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Geez, I can't believe that many folks are still here after 12 years.

"Ring a bell?" I suspect you are confusing 1967 and 1968 models.

The hood turn signals were part of the "deluxe hood" package and was included from the beginning of the 1967 model year and continued for the 1968 models. If by side vents you mean the quarter panel emblems, those were unique to the '67 model year. Standard on the very first of the '67 models up until they were changed for 1968.

The mid year changes to '67's were pretty minor and as I recall only involved changing to a collapsible steering column, brake line routing, and a couple of other minor things. None of which involved any exterior decor. IE, you can park an and a late '67 Mustang side by side and short of reading the date codes on the glass even a concours gold MCA judge would be hard pressed to say which was which.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts