Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have began the revival of a 67 mustang coupe, it apparently had a heck of a history. someone totally modified. someone put the battery in the trunk, done away with the factory voltage regulalator and condensor (maybe called a resistor) and replaced both with some kind of aftermarket parts. i am trying to figure out what wires go to the voltage regular, condensor/resistor and the solenoid. I have several manuals but the wiring diagrams are like japenese to me. basically what i want to do is put it back stock......any help appreciated

·
Registered
154 Posts
condenser/resistor
I think that would be the ballast resistor. If that has been taken out it usually means that there is an electronic ignition in the car. What it does is lower the voltage across the points to about 9 volts so you don't fry them. If you don't have points anymore you don't need one.

Not totally sure on how it all goes together though. The wiring in my 66 Mustang is in terrible shape (bad splices,burned terminals,melted wires, etc..) so I ordered a Painless kit to go in there. Their instructions are really good but the kits are a little pricey. But are well worth it.

done away with the factory voltage regulator
Does this mean that there is an internally regulated alternator in the car?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts