Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put a new rear end into my 67 coupe. I have a modest 302 under the hood now, and I am looking for something that will perform good for me yet let me still drive on the freeway. What size rear end should I go with??

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
mtgmustang said:
I am looking to put a new rear end into my 67 coupe. I have a modest 302 under the hood now, and I am looking for something that will perform good for me yet let me still drive on the freeway. What size rear end should I go with??
Stock 8" will take 300 hp to the tires unless you are launching on slicks. Axles are the same as a light duty 9". Traction-lock are rare. Find them in MII V6 or V8 cars.

·
The Maintenance Geek
263 Posts
xntrik said:
Stock 8" will take 300 hp to the tires unless you are launching on slicks. Axles are the same as a light duty 9". Traction-lock are rare. Find them in MII V6 or V8 cars.
The rear end in the MII is 4 lug, plus it may have the goofy
axle tubes, that neck down from either 3" or 2 3/4" to 2 1/2",
Try to find one from a V8 Maverick, or find yourself a new
center section and have that built... Unfortunately, there isn't
a large selection of gear ratios... With a little more info, we
can help you figure out what you'd need...

K

·
Registered
116 Posts
Think about going to a 8.8 a little work and you can have it in . Plenty of room for change with these. If not that choice you need to look in the Cougar and mustangs in the 60's or early 70 to get a 9 inch by chance .

But if your engine is mild the 8 will be ok . More options are becoming available for the 8 check with big names like Currie and others. If i remember you can get into some 3.55 for a 8 and its road and highway friendly.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Sorry if it seems I am hijacking this thread :spank: but maybe it will be of help to the original question also.

Bluestang, You mention using the 8.8 rear and I have been thinking of doing this on a 65 (actually a 64 1/2). What is involved here? I have been told that axles/hubs, etc from a Ranger can be used for a 5-lug conversion (the rear I have is from an 87 Mustang GT). What about width? I have been a professional welder for many years and I have the equipment needed so that is no problem.

Again I apologize for jumping in here and asking this but the timing on this one is perfect as I was intending to start another thread on this subject :) .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.