Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some people with experience running a street driven 6-71 on a 350 chevy. i've had a mustang with a vortech for years but never worked on a 6-71. any tips you can offer on carbs ign timing etc would be of great help

·
Administrator
6,246 Posts
There are several of us on here, some 383's, 388's and 377's, every combination is different, I've only been in the blower arena about a year, but if you have some specific questions, ask.

Camaroman7D has a wealth of knowledge, and can be a real asset.

·
Administrator
6,246 Posts
Well, I can start the discussion by telling you what I've got. There's so much involved to build a good blower motor right, and still no such thing as making it bullit proof. Plus, everyone has different ideas of what's reasonable. Here's my setup at a glance:

350 .030x3.75 with 5.7 'I' beam forged ESP rods
JE forged blower pistons, floating
ESP forged crank
HV oil pump
Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads, 215 runners, 2.08.1.6, 72cc, some port cleaning and matching
was a 2-bolt block, had it machined for Milidon splayed billet 4-bolt mains
Lunati RRA-282-290 grind solid roller, some knowledgable folks have custom grinds, but generally you'd want more duration on the exhaust side
Isky red zone lifters - make sure you get lifters that effectively lubricate the rollers, especially for the street, and inspect them regularly.
Comp roller rockers, hardened pushrods, guide plates
Isky rev kit
2-BG Mighty Demon blower carbs 750's
BG 280 pump 8.5#'s, AN-10 braided lines both ways, BG press regulator
Weiand 8-71, 7-9 # boost
MSD billet dizzy
MSD BTM, not using any retard yet
timing at 20 initial, 36 total all in at 2500
1 7/8 Hooker ceramic headers, 3.5 inch exhaust with Borlas
Be Cool radiator, TCI trans cooler

The car was a '68 Nova basket case when i got it, replaced both rear quarters,back-halved it with an Alston Eliminator II 4-link kit, tubbed, FAB 9", detroit soflocker 15 x 18.5 MT's on 15 x 15 wide centerline convo pros, T-400, 34 element sprag, full manual forward shift, rebuilt it, Hurst pistol quarter stick,TCI Ultimate Streetfighter 2800-3200 converter, MW axles and aluminum shaft, billet 1350 Strange on both ends, 4:11.
Early Chevelle front discs, Eldorado discs rear.

I've found the carbs are a little bit of overkill for a 383, downsized the mains and secondaries x3 sizes and opened up the idle air bleeds from .070 to .078 for now, haven't had a chance to test, winter here now! 4:11's are a little short for the street but it's a jack rabbit out of the hole, be ready for 2nd gear quick, I've hit the limiter several times and fuel build up during the skipped cycles isn't pretty. Force fed motors make awesome bottom end torque, regardless of which method you use, discreet or in your face. I have some old pics in my album here but no new ones since I got it on the street.

This could go on forever, but it's a start. I'll post some pictures later on if you'd like, everybody likes to see that kind of stuff. Drop me a line anytime or PM me to avoid these long posts.

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts