Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
My dad has been having a lot of problems with his truck recently with this motor. He recently asked my cousin to help tune his engine, the engine is now idling amazingly and will start perfectly. The only issue is when he puts the truck into gear, the truck will either have rough RPMs or will stall right away. The only way to counter this is by turning the idle RPM up to 1500+and it still had some troubles staying running

These are the specs of his engine
Board over 30
Eagle stroker crank
Heads were shaved same with block
HEI-MSD distributor
Comp Cam 548 lift
700R4 Auto transmission with 2500 stall converter

that is everything that he knows about it. Something i should add is when the truck is moving, the truck will drive smoothly. Personally i think it’s the stall converter. I’m just trying to find the cheapest option to fix this issue. Oh and my dad ripped out all of the computers in his truck, so all tuning is done by hand

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Whats the advertised and .050" duration on the camshaft.\??... "..548" lift "tells us almost nothing about how the cam will behave.

What carburetor??

What are the Initial(idle timing), Total mechanical advance amount, and by what rpm is total advance achieved in the distributor?
Vacuum advance hooked up?? Hooked to ported vacuum or full manifold vacuum?

What is the cylinder head casting number??

Assuming this is a 383" ??

·
Registered
445 Posts
Are you using ported or manifold vacuum and is a vacuum leak possible? Spray some ether around the fittings and carb base and see if you get any increase in rpm. Also, sometimes the timing marks aren't correct. Whats your vacuum guage telling you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.