Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 1968 C50 with a 366 ID in it.

I am looking to find out if the firing order is the basic Chevy big block firing order. Or if it is different due to the crank spinning clock wise and the cam spinning counter clockwise. Two gears. Nothing inbetween on the front of the block. - everyone I talk to says different. Either it’s the same or it’s different.

Long story short I took the timing cover off to replace the timing chain and found out it is a gear driven driven. It has a camshaft gear and a crankshaft gear none in between.
I ended up putting new distributor parts in it, new timing cover gasket, new oil pump. And a few other odds and ends.

Thanks for the help

·
True Hotrodder
1,641 Posts
It still uses the same firing order - 18436572 - if you watch the rotation of the distributor it's still clockwise.

Reactions: 68C50

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It still uses the same firing order - 18436572 - if you watch the rotation of the distributor it's still clockwise.
okay, thank you! I am hoping to get home tonight to finish everything that needs to be done! And get her running tonight

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pressed on cam gear.
No dowels for front cover.
Is this really a 1968 engine?
As far as I know, yes it is. But it came from a farm...haven’t really looked too hard for casting numbers or anything yet to verify

·
True Hotrodder
1,641 Posts
These engines were specifically heavy duty truck engines and not intended for any other duty. A lot of your school buses back in the day came with these engines in them. They are a torque engine, not a performance engine by any means.

Reactions: 68C50
1 - 7 of 7 Posts