Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in process of getting my 68 Caddy Convertible back together.
As I was reinstalling the dash, I needed to lower the steering column to attach some dash mounting bolts. I needed to pull the column down hard to the right and then to the left. After bolting everything back into place, I find the car will not start. I never had any problems starting this car before. I did notice a small spring and some brass pieces on the floor. I guess I broke the switch that was mounted to the column (Neutral Safety Switch) I think. I went to the junk yard and replaced the broken switch...still no go. The car doesn't even crank...NOTHING. I put a brand new battery in as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank You

Ribguy

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

Has the engine been out of the car or disconnected??

I would run a wire to the hot side of the coil and then jump the starter.......to see if it will run.

If nothing happens...............you have a ground problem
If it ran.......you have a switch problem.

Do you have a test light? Cheap tool........worth it's weight in GOLD

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deuce said:
:D

Has the engine been out of the car or disconnected??

I would run a wire to the hot side of the coil and then jump the starter.......to see if it will run.

If nothing happens...............you have a ground problem
If it ran.......you have a switch problem.

Do you have a test light? Cheap tool........worth it's weight in GOLD

:thumbup:
Thank you for the reply.

No, the motor was not pulled out of the car.

I had driven the car in the morning, installed the dash, went to start it up...nothing!!!!

When I try to start it, I get like a "tink" noise. I traced the noise to a relay behind the drivers side kick panel. From the relay, the wires run along the floor back up under the dash to ???

I am so DEPRESSED!!!:(

Car will not start in any gearshift position.:mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.