Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
USMC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from a drive trying to break the new engine in, and touched both front rims, and they were to hot to hold. I'm thinking maybe the bearings, any ohter suggestions? I'm sure I was using the breaks alot, but I don't think they should get that hot.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
I would get it up on jack stands right now and see it the front wheels spin free. Then pump the brakes a couple times and spin them again.. if they are power brakes I would also try starting the car and then spin them.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
You will know when you get it jacked up... It should spin easy... If it don't, Take your front brake's off the rotor's..If then you ''can'' turn it,, then it's the brake's.. If you still can't turn it with the brake's off, Then it's your Bearing's..(They may be to tight)... Good luck.. ;)

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
It's not likely that both wheel bearings go out or the brakes on both sides hang up at the same time, But stranger things have happened. I was just thinking it's real easy when breaking in a new engine that you will be breaking alot more than normal stopping and starting.JMO and thats a sweet camaro you got there :thumbup: . Cole

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
obengston said:
SOunds good. I went just a few min ago to jack it up, and my jack is gone. So I call my son, who tells me he forgot he borrowerd it to jack his mustang up

Boy!!! Don't that just kick you right in the butt... :mad:

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
eloc431962 said:
It's not likely that both wheel bearings go out or the brakes on both sides hang up at the same time,JMO. Cole
I'm Not saying he has bad bearing,,They just may be set too tight.. ;)
It has a lot to do with the person that set the bearing.. If they where set wrong... Most of the time when they do one wrong they do both wrong... Not try to say you did it are not,, I don't know enough about you are your car... You may have just got it,,You may have had someone worked on it,We don't know... :confused: Good luck.. :thumbup:

One other thing !!! How long has it been since the front brake hose's been changed ??? ;)

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
NEW INTERIORS said:
I'm Not saying he has bad bearing,,They just may be set too tight.. ;)
It has a lot to do with the person that set the bearing.. If they where set wrong... Most of the time when they do one wrong they do both wrong... Not try to say you did it are not,, I don't know enough about you are your car... You may have just got it,,You may have had someone worked on it,We don't know... :confused: Good luck.. :thumbup:
Very true Randy, I didnt think about someone else or if he just bought it so yes i agree if someone has been into it they could be set to tight. Oh i like your new avatar. :thumbup: .Cole

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
eloc431962 said:
Very true Randy, I didnt think about someone else or if he just bought it so yes i agree if someone has been into it they could be set to tight. Oh i like your new avatar. :thumbup: .Cole

Thanks... it was time for a new look.. :thumbup: I didn't know if Jon was going to Ok it... But he did.. Thanks Jon !!! :thumbup: Your's is nice too... :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
obengston said:
Thanks for the reply. I did have a guy do the bearings, so I will check them both myself. Should have done them in the first place. As far as the hoses, they look original!!.

I would make sure to check the bearings then.. And It sure wouldn't hurt to change the front hoses.. It may just be time,,, The hoses might not be bad, But if they been on the car for that long,, I would change them,, Better to do it at your house now, Then on the side of the road 500 miles away.. :pain:

·
USMC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

I just got finished replacing the calipers (ouch expensive) they are $200+ for one caliper, but I ordered reman from Lonestar, for $125 a piece, and put new stainless lines on the front. I will let everyone know how it turns out. The calipers look nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.