Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
USMC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to replace the starter wire, but where the wire connects at the firewall i don't't know what the clamp (end of wire ) that slides into the box is called. I would like to buy a few of the ends. Does anyone know what the clip that the wire connects to is called (it goes in the box that connects onto the firewall. I can take a pic if your not sure what i'm talking about.

Thanks,
Oscar

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Not sure what it is, but its likely an oddball thing that requires you buy the whole harness........ :pain: ....I may be wrong, hopefully.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Are you talking about the crimp connector? There are literally hundreds of different configurations and GM has it's own. You can probably find them at Allied Electronics, Mouser Electronics, or DigiKey Electronics, but you will have to look through hundreds to find the right one.

Vince

·
USMC
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is what I'm talking about. This is the box that connects to the firewall that feeds the fuse panel. I'm needing the pins/ what the wire is connected to. I want to rewire the engine compartment, but need the ends that the wire is connected to that coonects them. Hopefully this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Spade Terminals

Hey Bud, Male and female spade terminals is the electrical term used. The ones in the firewall harness are made for the harness plug with locking pins to keep them from pushing out when you plug it together. They are a PITA to unlock from the plug. Some times you can use jewelers screwdrivers to unlock. There are specific tools for given plugs and terminals to unlock.These are called removal and insertion tools. Some times the tool is one with removal blade on one side and insertion on the other. Sometimes all you need is a removal tool and the new connector just pushes in and locks. Unless the wire is completely fryed, you would probably be better off splicing in a new piece of wire than messing with the terminals in the plug. Just make sure you make a good splice if you use a butt connector or you can solder and tape or shrink sleeve. I think some of the classic camaro suppliers have the replacement male and female spades if you indeed have to replace them. Hope this helps. :) olnolan

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
just saw the photo

Yep, I just saw the photo. Those are pretty easy to get out on the male side (squeeze with needlenose to release) the female side is harder to get out without damaging, but possible. I've had to get some out to clean corrosion.
I think you can buy that firewall harness complete for not too much. But the price might painful, I ain't sure. olnolan
Damn, I type sooo slowww that Vince has got you covered already.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Isn't that a 12v distrabution block ahead of the fuse block that distribute's 12v with fuseable links to accessories that draw high amp's? Correct me if I'm wrong! That's what I always thought. :confused: Splicing might not be a good choice.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It appears that this question has been thoroughly answered, but here is some additional info for what it's worth....

If those terminals are 1/4" wide, they go by the name "Delphi Packard Metri Pack 56" formerly known as "Packard Electric series 56" terminals. They are very common in GM products built from the late 50's up into the '80's.

I buy them from the following places:

DelCity

Waytek Wire

They are also available through Auveco, which could be ordered from most major auto parts stores and nut & bolt stores.

They are available in different sizes to match the size wire they are to be attached to, so make sure you get the right size.

The male terminals can be especially difficult to crimp properly without the proper crimper (which is spendy). I recommend that you also solder them if you do not have access to the proper crimping tool.

I use this crimper, but most heavy duty roll-over style crimpers will do an adequate job.

I am sure these terminals are also available through any of the major aftermarket wiring harness manufacturers such as American Auto Wire, Painless, Ron Francis, etc.

Hope this helps... :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.