Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,I have a 68 firebird 350 that still house the original 350 pontiac block....have come to the point where i want to bet the ponies up....wondering if anyone can share there ideas on whether i can get some decent horsepower out of this 350 pontiac 4 bolt 4 barrel or my second option is a 383 chevy stroker motor since i have a few solid 350 4 bolt main blocks around....just wondering what anyones 2 cents on horsepower possibilities and cost effectiveness.......thanks in advance for any advice this is going to be a winter project....havent made my mind up either way...just looking for advice.............thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't know, can you stroke the Poncho 350?? I would want the original power plant in something like that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
First off the Pontiac is a 2 bolt block. Yes you can get some power out of a 350 Pontiac if you set it up right. One thing you have to consider is the quality of gas these days. If you are really after some serious power find a 455 and drop it in. Will look just like your 350 and be more pump gas friendly and more torque and horsepower than you coax out of a 350. But if you are serious about building you 350 then find some casting 48 Ram Air III heads and use your stock iron intake and Q-jet. Install an 068 cam and you can duplicate a 350 HO and net around 320 horses at the flywheel but your compression will be right around 10.50:1. Also change from your points system to electronic and set your intial timing to around 12-14 degrees initial and go for a total of 36 degrees at 2600-2800 rpm. This will wake your little Bird up and go install a set of 3.55 gears. The 350,389, and 400 Pontiac engines all had the same stroke and used the same crank, the 350 had a smaller bore and right now the strokers are available for the 400's and 455's, no demand for a stroker in a 350 Pontiac.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
You can make serious power out of a Pontiac 350, but it will cost you.
I believe either Hot Rod or Car Craft did a buildup. Search their sites and see if you can find it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 68 bird also with the 350 in it. I am going to drop in a 400 (possibley stroked, not sure...). While I have fun with the power of the 400, I will build up the 350 with a factory look.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Smiley us that live and breath Pontiacs are very familiar with Mr.Fulper and that is all I'm going to say about him. I was told that some of the best heads Pontiac ever designed (670's) were junk by Bruce and the Lunati cam I had was junk. Well he was wrong as right now the 400 I'm presently running is the strongest to date and I will be using these heads on a 412 that I'm getting ready to build unless I can save up enough money to get a new pair of aluminum heads from Kauffman Racing. Pontiac builders such as Pontiac Dude, Ken (Ace) Brewer, the Kauffman brothers Paul Stotts, Pontiac Greg Jim Taylor and Jim Butler all highly recommend these heads and Mr Fulper puts down all these builders. If you really want to build a 350 Pontiac then I would contact any of these builders for how to make your engine reliable as well as powerful. Also I forget to mention SD Performance as a top Pontiac engine builder. I was considering putting together a 350 in the 69 Custom S that I'm getting ready to put together for my wife but seeing as it already has a 400 that is what I'm going to stay with, besides I like 400's and this is going to be a low compression engine, so it will be pump gas friendly and this one will be a driver, unlike the 412 will be in my GTO. The plans I had for the 350 would have made plenty of power but would have cost more than putting together the 400. If you really want to have fun build a 400 stroker as you can get as much as 462 cubic inches out of one of these, and will put any 383 stroker to shame as will most Pontiac engines.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Grusome Goat. I was considering them as a possible builder for my next motor...

Interesting.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Your welcome smily. As far as building a 350 Pontiac I recall an article from several years ago In an issue of High Performance Pontiac about John Sawucks son (John was a Pontiac exec back in the 60's & 70's during Pontiac's heyday) acquring a 69 Custom S HO. At last report he had the Custom S running in the 13.20's in the quarter with the 350 Turbo 350 trans and 3.55 rearend. That's just as fast as some 400's are running out there. If anyone is really serious about building a 350 Pontiac then the aforementioned suggestions will create a strong running engine that will hold it's own against most of what's on the streets today and if yor looking for alittle more power then get the 48's or a pair of Pontiacs other early D-port heads such as 670's (closed chamber large valve) 16's, 62's, 12's, or 13's. Have the heads ported by a reputable shop that is experienced in Pontiacs and if you are wanting a little more cam then I would recommend checking out some of the new grinds from Lunati as some of the old Ultradyne grinds are listed there now. You may want to also check out some of the grinds listed by H-O Racing. Pontiacs respond very well to dual pattern cams and on a 350 keep the intake duration at a maximum of around 226 @.050 unless your wanting to build an all out strip stormer then have the entire rotating assembly balanced and replace the rod bolts as stock Pontiac rod bolts have a tendency to stretch under severe use. Also try to locate some better pistons such as Keith Blacks or have some custom made from Ross or SRP. Pulling the 350 and putting it in storeage and going with either a 400 or 455 will be more cost effective and provide more power and will look like the stock 350 setting in there. Plus staying with the Pontiac engine you don't have to change your transmission or your frame mounts. And this will make a much stronger street/strip car (if so desired) than the 383.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts