Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help,

Long story short... I can buy a 68 firebird for 1,000.00 it is missing the engine , trans, radiator and hood...probably the drive shaft too. I have seen a bunch of pictures and it is complete and straight other than all the usual rust areas around the rear window and trunk but not totally gone. The interior is all there and surprisingly the bucket seats are not torn up... the console is there with no shifter. Dash pad is rotted but gauges and controls are complete. This is a no options car other than it was a V8 and had an auto trans. I don't really want the car since I have too many other projects already but I'm not against making some extra cash to support my other projects. Can I get more than my purchase price for this car as is or would I have to part it out to make a profit? Help me out I need a reality check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
firebird

car industry for 30 years. i would not buy unless you have sold before purchase car. call wrecking yard and see what they will give. in new mexico we sell cars like that by the pound with no rust. hope you have much better luck

·
Super Moderator
18,347 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than a grand for it...fibding a good hood will cost some, not to mention the other parts. Maybe, if it was just missing the drivetrain.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Bring this car to me! I will take it off your hands! You could not get that car for under $2k around here. :nono: Have you seen what a first gen console goes for these days? :evil:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt anyone would sell this car for scrap prices!

There is no way this car is ready for the scrap yard. I figured between the console, bucket seats, rear seat, grille and trim parts not counting any body parts I would get my money back plus a little for my trouble. I still would have the rear end, sub frame all the misc window and remaining trims parts etc. and a title! If I don't part it out... I agree that I would want to have the car sold before I move on it. So I'm still not sure if it is worth my trouble. I will be driving down to Ohio from MN with an empty trailer in a couple of months anyone interested in paying for my gas to drop it off?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Doubt you would make much on this car unless you had some parts. It will probably need everything.
The only expensive part would be the engine and trans, nothing else on that car is very expensive, but it will add up.
Replacement and aftermarket parts are there for all of it.
What ever you do, do not put a Chevy drive train in it, on average it'll drop the value a few grand. Find a 400 or 455 with trans from a mid-full size Pontiac. Early to mid 70's, any later and the motor mounts changed.

I'd take it if you were closer, but I don't see a quick turn around profit maker here even parting it out. I've had 5 early model birds, pretty limited buyers market for them but I predict they'll start becoming more collectable just because you don't see many.

You might be able to get $1500-$2000 for it as is, but it better be good usable sheet metal. Floors and trunk are a given to need replacing, quarters, door, firewall, roof, fenders, complete grill, stuff like that is what makes or breaks a Bird. Even a complete interior is pretty much useless as it'll probably be dry rotted.
Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My friend had one in the seventies. What a car, I always wanted one. Could be a real bad *** if done right. And could be worth a lot. The hood should be no problem at all, if I could find a fiberglass hood for my 67 cougar, I'm sure their is one for the bird. And if you don't get, drop me a line. Is it a hard top?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts