Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you think!?!

hey,
i was wondering what you guys (and girls) would suggest as for as a rearend and tranny go for my '68 impala!?!

o btw it just has an old 327 out of a 68 4-door impala

thanks,
kyle :pimp:

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Just say no to a powerglide in that heavy car with just a 327.

With that motor and heavy car your biggest problem will be getting off the line.

A Powerglide, which has a first gear ratio of 1.82:1, will go through first gear with 4.11 gears about as fast as these transmissions with the said gearing.

TH400/2.48:1 first gear --- 3.38 gears
TH350/2.52:1 first gear --- 3.41 gears
200-4R/2.74:1 first gear --- 3.19 gears
700-R4/3.06:1 first gear --- 2.87 gears

I know you can't buy that exact gearing but thats the exact equivalent and you can get pretty close to each with the avalible sets of gears.

Running 4.11 gears with an old 327 isn't the greatest idea, unless you see a new motor going in it's place soon, try to keep the gearing and the rpms reasonable. Assuming you aren't working with a big budget I would go with a TH350 and gears around 3.42.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks mike...i think your post just changed my mind.....i think i can get a turbo 350 for farely cheap...the guy that used to own the car has it....he had it in the impala with a 350 until he sold it

kyle :pimp:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.