Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm Daniel from Germany. I am in the last steps of an restauration of a 68 Mustang Coupe. It got a 5.0HO engine from an 87 Lincoln Mark VII LSC. From that Lincoln I still have the rear axle laying arount because it is has a 3.27 gear ratio with Traclock and my original one has only 2.79 or 3.0.

Before changing the hole axle, is it possible that the inner parts (ring, pinion, ...) can be swapped and the old axle housing can stay? So will gears from 87 fit into the 68 housing?
Here in Germany the classic cars must have drum brakes rear if the cars came original with it. So the disks of the Lincoln are not an option for me. (Sadly)
KInd regards,
Daniel

·
Registered
443 Posts
First post a picture of the rear end in the Mustang from the front of the pumpkin. Then we can be sure whether you have an 8" or 9". I would do whatever you need to do to just upgrade what you have, because its already a decent rear no matter which one you have. There is nothing wrong with the 8.8 but swapping rears often has unseen issues that must be overcome($$). If you are adept at fabbing stuff, it may not be problematic...........If on the other hand you have to pay to have the work done, then it can get much more expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts