Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
limited slip differential

What is the rear end gear code for your mustang? Its located on the warrenty plate.

One was to check the rear end yourself, which works most of the time. Jack up one wheel, with the other one well blocked and transmission in gear or park. Turn the jacked up wheel. If it turns about 1 1/2 -2 revolutions, then stops, and you cant turn it again til you turn the wheel back the other way abit, you have a locker. If the wheel will turn with out any obstruction like that, its an open rear.

Here are the codes according to my Interchange book. These are the codes for locking differentials, for 68.
A = 2.75
C = 2.80
D = 2.83
E = 3.00
F = 3.20
G = 3.25
H = 3.50

My codes dont address any gears deeper than 3.50, for the 68 Mustangs.

·
Registered
529 Posts
"Jack up one wheel, with the other one well blocked and transmission in gear or park."

Please forgive me if I'm totally wigged out or something, but if one wheel is on the ground, chocked, and the transmission is in gear or park, wouldn't that prevent you from turning the jacked-up tire?
JA

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
youre right

Duh, guess I was still half asleep on that one. Glad you noticed it Johnnya. If its in gear or park the wheel wont turn as the driveshaft is locked. Gotta have it in nuetral. Sorry about that.
At any rate, be sure to block the other tires so it wont roll on you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.