Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gearheads. this mustang came with a 289 stock motor that I need to rebuild. I’d like to rebuild it with a little more pep than it had in 68.
I bought flotek aluminum 180cc heads and an edelbrock manifold along with some roller rockers and misc new stuff from a guy who changed his mind on a 289 and is getting a 360 delivered instead. So what’s my cam? And the Pushrods? and I’d love a recommendation on the best complete engine gasket set so I can start matching stuff up. Summit or CJpony. thanks ✌🏽

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi gearheads. this mustang came with a 289 stock motor that I need to rebuild. I’d like to rebuild it with a little more pep than it had in 68.
I bought flotek aluminum 180cc heads and an edelbrock manifold along with some roller rockers and misc new stuff from a guy who changed his mind on a 289 and is getting a 360 delivered instead. So what’s my cam? And the Pushrods? and I’d love a recommendation on the best complete engine gasket set so I can start matching stuff up. Summit or CJpony. thanks ✌🏽 View attachment 523501 View attachment 523502
and tell me which 4 bbl carb would work.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
If you really want some help, I think you need to provide a lot more information than just a picture of some parts and a request for a list of part numbers. The people in this forum are the hands-on type and every bit of information you can provide is just barely enough. Things like intended usage, just building a driver or looking to really wring the most out of it, what trans behind it, gear ratio, tire size, other engine mods - headers, bottom end, rods, pistons and so forth. Are you boring and stroking this engine? I don't mean to be a jerk but it's super difficult to recommend camshaft and valvetrain components without the project parameters.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
The first thing to settle is whether this is a 289 or a 302. 1968 was the 302 introduction year. You need to hunt down the vehicle’s spec sheet, ID whether this is really a 68 and not a 67 model year and if a 68 built before January 68 (meaning mid 67 to new years) or after new years to early summer 68.

From the outside the 289 and 302 look the same.

Without more specifics there is no way to tell the cam, both the 289 and the 302 came in different performance codes from mild to very wild. These have all sorts of mixes of compression ratios, carburetors, intake manifolds and camshafts. Especially if it has a four speed stick as hypo code engines back then we’re not available ahead of an auto trans.

There are a number of soft cover books on this subject, I suggest you start a library. These provide a tremendous help on what parts the factory put on different code motors, casting numbers and where to find them on the block, heads, intake, etc.

Keep in mind that 1968 was a long time ago and people in the intervening 50 some years are likely to have modified things.

1968 is in the prime years of the horsepower race, the manufactures were putting together crazy options, you need to do enough homework to lean enough to even ask the dumb questions which are a lot easier on your time and wallet than left unasked.

Bogie

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
More for Less Racer
20,938 Posts
That suggested Howards cam may not be enough exhaust duration...I was surprised to look up and see just how bad the exhaust port is on the 180cc SBF Flo-Teks....I didn't think anyone made an aluminum head with that bad of exhaust flow.
The 190cc SBF Flo-Teks are great, nice numbers all around....I wonder why the 180cc exhaust ports are sooo bad?? The 190cc are full CNC'd heads and that helps, but they both have the same 1.55" exhaust valve, the 180's really shouldn't be that bad as-cast.
Cam choice is going to be a lot more critical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.