Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any volkswagen ppl?

- 1600 stock motor - 31 pict carb

when cold motor starts and runs - when hot- it wont idle.. if i get it to idle a bit when i put it in gear it dies. possible a vacuum leak - havent checked yet, just thought i would see if i got any replies.
the chokeplate (or whatever it is) hangs open.. its not connected to anything. just has the stepped ear that goes to the throttle stop screw. if i hold it closed when its hot i can keep it idling. except its a little high. I just got the thing so I havent checked much.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where?

valve lash - in the valve train? lol hmm no. as in turn it by hand and put the feeler in there? how would that affect it?

so the chokeplate shouldnt be connected to anything?

r4r

·
Registered
904 Posts
Once the engine is warmed up the choke does nothing but it should be open, on a VW thats about 5 minutes and it should idle less the carb is gummed up , not adjusted correctly, or the valves are to tight and you could have vacuum leaks at the intake to head, Has this been setting, or is this a new carb? There is a arm that just pushes the choke plate shut but it will flop open if you push it with out any Resistance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but did you get your problem fixed? If not what engine do you have?
What carb?
I can probably help a little...

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Lean

Doc here, :pimp:

Sounds like it's starving for fuel, Check the Fuel filter, tank pickup, and lines.Do a pressure / Volume test on the fuel pump. If that's good, check the float for stuck "closed" condition or too low...

Does that have "Rubber Boots" on the intake cross pipe? Those could be leaking too...

Let us know what you find / Found...

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry yall

i figured it out and forgot i posted -

it was a standard 1600 cc motor with dual port heads anbd a solex carb. the
dog ear was on upside down on the carb when i got it - it took looking at a spare carb i had to realize it.
also the stepped throttle catch was worn out and it would cause the throttle stop screw to vibrate down to the next level - killing the idle.

i think it would of worked even with the ear upside down if the peice didnt need filed.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Trike..

Doc here, :pimp:

KEWL! Glad to hear it was a "Simple" Fix (If such things exist in the REAL world)...and that it's all good now!

Thanks for Posting Back...
Gotta make a mental note about the Dog-ear for future troubleshooting!

Doc :pimp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.