Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow hot rodders. I have a 1969 396 BBC, with a Comp Cam .550" lift , and a tunnel ram 2-600cfm intake, and a stock TH400. Can I install a 3000rpm torgue convertor, with no adverse affects, to the engine or transmission. Will this effect my ability to cruise around town at lower RPM's, or should I be okay. THx, Marty.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I run a dynamic 3000 stall in a 305 with performer cam. Stall can be foot braked to 2200rpm and flashes up to 2800. Rated 3000 rpm. A 3.73 gear and 350C finish of the driveline. I was affraid of slushy operation on cruise. Honestly I can NOT tell it is in there cruising around. Whe you get on it instantly you feel the difference. I am glad that I took the time to pull my trans back to put it in. A stall helps the launch so much. Like x4 as much. Use a $40 finned cooler or better yet the BM Maxi cooler.

Frank , at dynamic rebuilt this thing right. He gave me exactly what I wanted.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
martin7844 said:
Will this effect my ability to cruise around town at lower RPM's, or should I be okay. THx, Marty.
You'll be fine. It will take a few days to get used to the new feel the TC will give the ride, but overall you'll be pleased, I'm sure.

Depending on the duration and vehicle weight, and how you use it (like if it was mainly used for drag racing), you might even be able to use more converter stall, but 3000 will definitely be an improvement if you're using a stock TC.

Be sure to install a good tranny cooler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.