Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching the Dana 60 that's in my 1970 Nova, turns out its from a 1969 B body dodge has the original power loc, 3.54 gears, 23 spline axles , adjustable wheel bearings.
It appears to be uncut fits perfectly. Another alternative for 10 or 12 bolts

·
More for Less Racer
20,955 Posts
Not much of an alternative when it is about 10 times rarer than a stock 12-bolt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, I've built Dana 60's for drag cars rather than using 9" Ford......but that B-body Dana 60 is a lot more RARE.
You're not going to be tripping over them in every old junkyard you go to, only the Hemi and 440 6-Pak cars got those rears.

·
More for Less Racer
20,955 Posts
Interesting... ya but by the time I get a 12 bolt, driveshaft work, new wheels (because they are the dodge bolt pattern) I probably wouldn't be too much ahead?
With an aftermarket 12-bolt, you can get the axles dual drilled with both bolt patterns, it is almost a standard thing with aftermarket axle shafts.....now your only change is driveshaft possibly. You wouldn't have to buy wheels.

If you can do a lot of the work, you could pocket some.

This thread made me think way back to my dim youth, I do remember hearing the B-body Mopar 8-3/4" could make a low cost performance axle in place of a 10-bolt in a Camaro or Nova....but by 1986 when I was looking there wasn't a cheap one to be found in local wrecking ysrds....those cars in Michigan had gone to rust nearly 8-10 years prior....Mopars did not handle road salt as well as other brands.

That B-body 8-3/4" would be dimensionally the same as your Dana with the exception of driveshaft length, since they fit the same chassis.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Heck 5k might be light in value, iirc correct the Dana was standard on Hemi cars and an option for 440 cars, seeing you dated back to 69 could be from a 69 superbee 6 pack car

I remember hearing a few years ago the Oldsmobile W27 aluminum rear ends were 5k minimum.

Might be worth a little Google time to check value

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good info here......might see what google says lol
Just looked online can't find any for sale. I know when I got the new bearings pressed on the axles the guy was blown away that they were the 23 spline ones.
Not sure what a replacement rear end would cost me, here in Canada you can almost double what you pay down in the states ...... very sad :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Changing the rear end maybe more trouble than it's worth.....If someone is doing a restoration and wants to make it worth while then maybe.
If I come across a 12 bolt locally for a good price maybe I'll get it then do the swap, but it all works fine for now no need to fix if it ain't broken .... I don't think I'll ever hurt the Dana. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.