Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Got a problem here and hoping you can help. I have a '69 Camaro with factory dash harness and M & M engine and front harness. Factory tail light harness. Has an HEI distributor and an electric choke. Harness was designed to take the external voltage regulator out of play and provide proper voltage to HEI. This thing is eating thru batteries! Lights switch not on, no bulb in dome light, etc. I had my Centek charger on it all winter and it stayed charged nicely. I started the car up two weeks ago and took charger off and left it off. Today, dead battery! I have gone thru two optimas and the one in it now is an EXIDE Orbital. What are the steps I need to go thru to figure out where this drain is?

·
Registered
232 Posts
battery problem

you can start this way by removing the neg. cable and inserting a test light between the battery to the cable. if it lights something is on. you can start by disconnecting the alternator wires if the light light go out you found the problem. even a new alternator can be defective. if it does not go out. you can remove the fuses one at a time and check the light after each one you remove. the dome light has several items connected to it.the dome light,cigarette lighter,glove box light, under hood light, trunklight,if you have lights under the dash that light the floor. all of these light are connected with an orange wire that has 12 volts all the time even the clock if you have one. the new harness could be shorted, these things do happen. but check the fuses first. you can reach me at( [email protected]) be sure you disconnect the electric choke,this could be on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I read that you had it on a charger for the whole winter. How many amp were you putting to the battery with that charger? It is possible to over heat a battery when charging it for an extended period of time. It will kill a battery if to many amp are put to the battery. I use a motorcycle battery tender which put out 1/2 amp and just keep the battery charged up. It shut it's self off when completely charged. I got both of them at a Harley dealer for about $40.00 and you wire the plug into the battery for quick disconnect and connection.

I had a corvette c5 and it would dine out on batteries with all the electrical crap on the car. Started using it and never had a problem after that. My guess if you don't find a short some where is the battery was charged to long with to many amps.

My 2 cents worth only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.