Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Camaro coupe
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having trouble getting the horn to work on my 69, its got a non tilt steering column. I just installed a new cancel cam. Grant steering wheel with Grant installation kit. No signal going to the relay. I ran a multimeter doing a resistance check (Ohm) between the horn button ground wire and the steering column wire cluster. No response on any of the points in the column harness.

Any suggestions before I open up the column again, I'm suspecting the cancel cam isn't making connection through to the button?

·
Registered
76 Posts
having trouble getting the horn to work on my 69, its got a non tilt steering column. I just installed a new cancel cam. Grant steering wheel with Grant installation kit. No signal going to the relay. I ran a multimeter doing a resistance check (Ohm) between the horn button ground wire and the steering column wire cluster. No response on any of the points in the column harness.

Any suggestions before I open up the column again, I'm suspecting the cancel cam isn't making connection through to the button?
Start at the connector to the column. Some refer to this connector as the harmonica clip for obvious reasons the long flat connector resembles a harmonica. disconnect and on the harness that goes into the vehicle (not the column)
At the very end of the colored wires, there is a black wire. ground the black wire, the horn should blow. This tells you that all is well from the harness forward, the problem is in the steering column. My next course is to remove the horn button and the tube from the cancel cam that houses the horn contact place a wire to ground into the tube and make sure you touch
the contact so the horn should blow. if not somewhere in the turn signal switch the contact is not hitting the cancel cam and you have to pull the wheel from there. good luck in your search !!

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,518 Posts
Some refer to this connector as the harmonica clip for obvious reasons the long flat connector resembles a harmonica.
i've never heard it described as such, but i will never think anything else but harmonica plug from now on
the picture is perfect in my head 🎼

·
Registered
69 Camaro coupe
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Start at the connector to the column. Some refer to this connector as the harmonica clip for obvious reasons the long flat connector resembles a harmonica. disconnect and on the harness that goes into the vehicle (not the column)
At the very end of the colored wires, there is a black wire. ground the black wire, the horn should blow. This tells you that all is well from the harness forward, the problem is in the steering column. My next course is to remove the horn button and the tube from the cancel cam that houses the horn contact place a wire to ground into the tube and make sure you touch
the contact so the horn should blow. if not somewhere in the turn signal switch the contact is not hitting the cancel cam and you have to pull the wheel from there. good luck in your search !!
thank you wrenchbend, much appreciated,

·
Registered
69 Camaro coupe
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all, figured it out finally, it was 2 things actually:

1. the spring loaded connector that slides up against the turn signal cancel cam was jammed and not making a good connection to the cam. I took it apart sprayed some WD and compressed air and relubed the spring with dialectric grease.

2. the coating on the Grant steering wheel wasn't allowing for a ground to be established when the horn button ring was touching it, I ran a ground wire to it and sure enough the horn worked, so I took a scuff wheel on a grinder and wore off the coating on the inside of the steering wheel where the button makes contact.

Problem solved, thank you everyone for the help, much appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts