Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 6-speed transmission for my 69 Camaro and I still plan on using the center console.
It originally had an automatic transmission and a small block 327.
I've been looking at T-56's for a couple months now.
I'm putting a 498 big block engine in whenever I can finish it off.
Is there a certain style of transmission I should get and will there be any metal work involved with getting a T-56 to work with the console?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I've seen this package before but to my understanding the total cost for the package would be around 3k right?
I was kind of looking for a way around that.
I know someone selling a used T-56/monster stage 2 clutch with low miles for $1,500. Would it be better just to go with that packaged deal?
I plan on having around 600-700 torque.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Be careful: A T56 Magnum is *not* a T56; so if you're buying a take-out gearbox you need to verify an actual T56 or a TR6060/T56 Magnum.
You'd be better off with a 2.66 1st gear over the 2.97. Most people don't get much use out of 6th gear if at all. I'd avoid the GTO/Caddy T56s. They're low production volume and parts availability is spotty at best. This is not an issue for TR6060 gearboxes these days.
You'll need a 3.70 rear gear or more to really make use of the overdrive capability, hence the 2.66 1st.

A better option might be the Legend Gear 700. Its a single OD 5spd with T56-esque internals. Jodys Transmissions in Reading PA is one authorized distributor.
Good luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I put a 6 speed (T-56 from early Camaro) into my '69. Your auto console can be made to work, but I never quite got mine right. You can remove the auto shifter, and then a manual shroud (plastic tunnel that the shifter comes up through) will just bolt right in. The problem is that the shifter is incorrectly located where it comes up out of the trans. I got around that by cutting, and welding, and trying to get the shifter lever to come up in a better location. It required cutting part of the trans tunnel out to gain clearance, and then welding sections back in to seal the trans tunnel. I then had to trim part of the plastic "tunnel" to allow clearance of the relocated shift lever arm.

I agree with the guys above, just buy a new unit made to fit correctly in your car. Even if you run the T-56 you will still have to contend with finding a way to make the hydraulic slave cylinder work with your existing clutch pedal. Again, it can be done-I did it-but it's not as easy as you would think. I found my firewall would flex quite a bit when I pushed the clutch pedal in so I had to reinforce the firewall to keep it from flexing too much and getting weaker & breaking. Yes, my clutch master was bolted to the firewall-but with additional brackets for stiffness were required to make it right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.