Hot Rod Forum banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,696 Posts
I wouldn't use anything older than 1996. OBD II is the best and programmable.

Don't know if anything in this year range would fit, just saying, it's the better way to go injection wise. That, or aftermarket. Aftermarket would probably be easier for you.

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,857 Posts
I wouldn't use anything older than 1996. OBD II is the best and programmable.

Don't know if anything in this year range would fit, just saying, it's the better way to go injection wise. That, or aftermarket. Aftermarket would probably be easier for you.
I agree 100%. My preference is the way that I outlined. Master rebuild of the 302 with a mild cam and aftermarket EFI. Overhaul a C4 transmission and install a shift kit. Everything fits with no modifications and no headaches. Everything available off the shelf. Should be up and running by spring. An ambitious 16 year old can get a lot done in 8 months of evenings and weekends. Been there and done that. Just don’t put the school work on the back burner like I did in my Junior and Senior years. I could have graduated with an A average instead of a B+. WOW !!! 1970 was a long time ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I agree 100%. My preference is the way that I outlined. Master rebuild of the 302 with a mild cam and aftermarket EFI. Overhaul a C4 transmission and install a shift kit. Everything fits with no modifications and no headaches. Everything available off the shelf. Should be up and running by spring. An ambitious 16 year old can get a lot done in 8 months of evenings and weekends. Been there and done that. Just don’t put the school work on the back burner like I did in my Junior and Senior years. I could have graduated with an A average instead of a B+. WOW !!! 1970 was a long time ago.
So, my brother said he knows a guy that built a 302 with EFI. I will have to ask if it is built similar to the 67 302. If it is, he priced it at 500. That would probably be my best bet. As far as school, I chose classes that will give barely any homework (its my junior year this year so I don't need math.) The only class I have homework for is obv English but even then its so simple. I should probably start looking into the fuel system for the efi. I might also need to look at a couple wiring harness adaptations. This should be near doable I think.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
So, my brother said he knows a guy that built a 302 with EFI. I will have to ask if it is built similar to the 67 302. If it is, he priced it at 500. That would probably be my best bet. As far as school, I chose classes that will give barely any homework (its my junior year this year so I don't need math.) The only class I have homework for is obv English but even then its so simple. I should probably start looking into the fuel system for the efi. I might also need to look at a couple wiring harness adaptations. This should be near doable I think.
With buying the engine, I shouldn't have to buy a master rebuild kit so that will save some more money. And for the fuel system conversion kit do you think this would work?67 68 Ford Mustang FITECH 600hp EFI Fuel Injection Gas Tank Conversion Kit 90ohm for sale online | eBay

·
More for Less Racer
20,557 Posts
I agree, it is doable and the wiring harness rework info is out there, just do your research.

Best way to go on the modern swap is buy the entire donor car....pull the drivetrain, nearly the entire wiring harness, ECU, instrument cluster, and fuel pump out of the tank ......and then part out and scrap out the remains of the donor to get some of the donor cost back for the swap project.
You're not going to transplant the instrument cluster into the mustang and ruin that vintage dash vibe, but keeping the cluster allows you to test the wiring connections during the swap.

The Mustang set-up is the only way you'll get a modern Overdrive manual trans, if you want to have fun and go that with instead of an automatic transmission.

With buying the engine, I shouldn't have to buy a master rebuild kit so that will save some more money. And for the fuel system conversion kit do you think this would work?67 68 Ford Mustang FITECH 600hp EFI Fuel Injection Gas Tank Conversion Kit 90ohm for sale online | eBay
A tank set-up kit like that is a good way to go if you don't want to try to piece it all together yourself.

Even if you don't do the modern swap and just do a carburetor engine, i would strongly recommend you buy a complete new wiring harness for the car. It will save you a bunch of frustration down the road.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I agree, it is doable and the wiring harness rework info is out there, just do your research.

Best way to go on the modern swap is buy the entire donor car....pull the drivetrain, nearly the entire wiring harness, ECU, instrument cluster, and fuel pump out of the tank ......and then part out and scrap out the remains of the donor to get some of the donor cost back for the swap project.
You're not going to transplant the instrument cluster into the mustang and ruin that vintage dash vibe, but keeping the cluster allows you to test the wiring connections during the swap.

The Mustang set-up is the only way you'll get a modern Overdrive manual trans, if you want to have fun and go that with instead of an automatic transmission.

A tank set-up kit like that is a good way to go if you don't want to try to piece it all together yourself.

Even if you don't do the modern swap and just do a carburetor engine, i would strongly recommend you buy a complete new wiring harness for the car. It will save you a bunch of frustration down the road.
Well the engine doesnt come with a car, he built it. He quoted my brother 500 and tomorrow im going to see if I can go take a look at it and get some pictures for you guys here on the forums so you can help make sure that it will fit, but chances are it will. As far as the wiring harness goes, I most likely will have to buy a brand new mustang harness and use some- fun- techniques to get it to work. I will definitely keep that dash vibe because the dash is awesome! And I dont really know how to drive manual even though I agree they are the best ones. I look forward to finding out how to use it and maybe even switching it out for a manual in the future!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Well the engine doesnt come with a car, he built it. He quoted my brother 500 and tomorrow im going to see if I can go take a look at it and get some pictures for you guys here on the forums so you can help make sure that it will fit, but chances are it will. As far as the wiring harness goes, I most likely will have to buy a brand new mustang harness and use some- fun- techniques to get it to work. I will definitely keep that dash vibe because the dash is awesome! And I dont really know how to drive manual even though I agree they are the best ones. I look forward to finding out how to use it and maybe even switching it out for a manual in the future!
I wont be able to get any pictures till around this friday-saturday cause the guy is out of town atm, but im going to start looking into a wiring harness right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, im a 16 year old putting a chevy 350 into a 67 mustang. Now before you all go off about putting a chevy in a mustang, I bought the mustang with no engine and got a really good deal on the engine and tranny. I rebuilt the engine myself but when we went to put the engine in, it just wouldn't fit. Any ideas what I could do to make it fit?
use ford 302 or 289 engines

101 - 114 of 114 Posts