Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I bought a 69 mustang 2 days ago.. Bearings were kinda rough feeling - but the car seemed dead quiet in N.. only when i started driving did it make some awful whining/grinding like noise - could the bearings cause the gears to sit bad? light power and coast was just plain horrid! One trip round the block and we parked her and pulled the tranny-

Might need a new gear set - anyone know what teeth I need? This is a RAN 3 speed manual -

Here are some pics i took today after finally managing to get the gears halfway out - no chips, syncros all look good, some teeth are worn from engaging but the individual teeth dont have chips - just shiny marks - its probabl common that the gears evenually DO wear so im considering replacing the gears and bearings while im in there-

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,157 Posts
To my un professional eye I see a lot of debris and it looks like the oil was real dirty. I would be suspicious of all the internal bearings and especially the input shaft bearing. I seen better gears and it seems like some minor face damage. I also noticed what looked like end damage to some teeth but the photo is not super clear here, but my bet is bearings and contamination.. I had an input shaft bearing go in a Saginaw and it sounded like rocks in the transmission.. That is my take on what I see. :cool:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think my needle bearings might have been toasted - yes there was some grime in there but the lube was clear- im going to buy a bearing and needle kit - re-assemble and hold thumbs! yes i believe the worn gear is the reverse?

The tranny shifted fine and no issues getting in and out - just whines when under power...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.