Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:
I have a question, I've just finished installing what could be called a trunk firewall on the 69 coupe. If your not familiar it's a sheet of steel that that fills the section of the car behind the rear seat. I've added some sound absorption onto the sheet but it's pretty resonate, because of the large open area it covers the steel acts like a drum head almost. I was wondering if flex seal would help knock down that resonance and add a little sound deadening.?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Guys:
I have a question, I've just finished installing what could be called a trunk firewall on the 69 coupe. If your not familiar it's a sheet of steel that that fills the section of the car behind the rear seat. I've added some sound absorption onto the sheet but it's pretty resonate, because of the large open area it covers the steel acts like a drum head almost. I was wondering if flex seal would help knock down that resonance and add a little sound deadening.?

Thanks
Mark
my 67 cougar had the same problem, with the steel devide . Road noise and the holly in tank fuel pump seemed louder with the devider than without so I put the 1/8 inch black rubber sound deadner solid all over the inside and there was only a small decrease in noise so next I added 3/8 inch foam sound deadner and got a little less noise. OK so a little is good so a lot is better? I next put the same combination on the trunk side of the plate and it equaled a bigger noise reduction also coverd the wheel wells and that helped too. Next I cut out a trunk carpet and heavy foam pad (home depot cheep ) which heped a lot with the fuel pump noise. in my case at least it seems that no single place will kill the noise , put the sound deadning stuff everywhere you can between the source and the driver the more the merrier!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.