Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Petrol Head
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been a veeeery long time since I've posted here, but I was hoping I could bounce an idea off your collective heads.

My mom bought her dream car a few years back, a '67 Chevy Impala. It has been her baby ever since; she loves this car so much.

However, two years ago, after finally completing her new custom interior, her all original, numbers-matching 327 blew an oil ring. Sadly, we are not a wealthy household and the $3k for the rebuild has not been amassing quickly.

Now, my mom has been quite depressed about not having driven her baby in almost two years. She left yesterday for a week, and an idea popped into my head: swap my engine for hers, so she could at least drive her car whilst waiting to save up money.

I drive a '69 Pontiac, running a '69 GM 350cui smallblock mated to a TH350.
I have the necessary tools and equipment to pull our engines, and a fair bit of mechanical knowledge (the rest is in my dad's head).

The Impala has, as I mentioned, a GM 327cui smallblock mated to a Powerglide 2-speed automatic.

My question is, how easy would it be to pull my engine and hers, and do the old switcheroo? I would love to see the look on her face when we pick her up from the airport in her Chevy =D

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Well to start, you would have to swap the water pump and all brackets and accessories from her 327 to the 350. Pay attention to the oil pan in both cars before doing anything. If the same, bolt the power-glide to the 350 and install it. The reason for the water pump swap is 67-68 had short water pumps and 69 had long water pumps. Pulleys, brackets are different.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
If the '69 is a Pontiac engine, it will take a bit more work but it can be made to bolt in the car if your willing to go with the matching TH-350.. GM chassis were all the same, but the engines were manufacture specific until the late 70's

·
Petrol Head
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the '69 is a Pontiac engine, it will take a bit more work but it can be made to bolt in the car if your willing to go with the matching TH-350.. GM chassis were all the same, but the engines were manufacture specific until the late 70's
That's interesting! I had always assumed that since Pontiac was a part of GM, their engines would be the same as their chevrolet contemporaries.

So, in stay of swapping struts/pumps, I was thinking of just pulling the entire block out, accessories and all and intstalling it in hers. Since they are both smallblock GM's, do you think the motor mounts will be in roughly the same place? I'm worried if I can't mate it with the powerglide, that I'll have an issue with driveshaft length

·
Administrator
18,646 Posts
In those years in the US, Pontiac and Chevy engines are quite different...Its not just a bolt in. Better to find a Chevy engine or mom may be pissed rather than pleased

Show us pictures of both engines and you can see the differences

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
motor swap

ck craigslist.. u might get lucky and find a '67.. if your not used to c/l.. go to your state listings and on the upper left is a search box.. type in, 1967, 327, engine or something. it'll being up stuff in your area and areas close..

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know you said you don't have 3k but you can usually find a stock small block chevy for around 500 or less and just keep the original engine aside and leave your car together. Just another perspective. Good luck.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
That's interesting! I had always assumed that since Pontiac was a part of GM, their engines would be the same as their chevrolet contemporaries.

So, in stay of swapping struts/pumps, I was thinking of just pulling the entire block out, accessories and all and intstalling it in hers. Since they are both smallblock GM's, do you think the motor mounts will be in roughly the same place? I'm worried if I can't mate it with the powerglide, that I'll have an issue with driveshaft length
So your engine is a Pontiac?

In many cases GM frames are made to accept the different GM engines and transmissions. This is because some frames were shared between makes. This isn't always the case, but you can tell by looking at the frame to see if there are many more holes than needed- the unused holes are for installing either 6 cylinder engines or to mount different make engines like Buick, Pontiac, etc.

If both the cars are the same body type (her Impala is a "B-body"), you may be able to remove the steel frame mounts and use them to install your Pontiac engine into her Chevy. This might work on other body types- but you'll need to check on this to be sure. If not, you'll need to check on eBay, etc. for the right frame mounts. The rubber motor mounts are available from a parts store and shouldn't be a problem.

You'll need to determine which set of holes are the ones to use for a Pontiac engine, then mount the frame stands to the chassis before setting the engine into place. It's sometimes a good idea to leave the frame mounts a little loose so they can be moved around to help align the motor mount through bolts to the frame stands.

You can use a Chevy tranny behind a Pontiac engine by using a steel adapter. If there's a TH400 involved, it takes a different U-joint than the Powerglide or TH350. Usually moving the tranny mount to fit a different tranny is like the engine- there will be holes already in the frame rails. If not, they can be drilled.

You deserve credit for at least looking into this for your Mom, good luck.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know you said you don't have 3k but you can usually find a stock small block chevy for around 500 or less and just keep the original engine aside and leave your car together. Just another perspective. Good luck.
A very good suggestion.

You deserve credit for at least looking into this for your Mom, good luck.
I agree with Cobalt327 and applaud you for having good family values.

I realize how hard $3000 can be to save up. But if you're half-way there, you might consider swapping in the Goodwrench 350. Jegs has a deal on it now for $1499.99 with FREE SHIPPING, since you're not in Ohio you won't even have to pay the sales tax. The Goodwrench 350 would bolt in using the original intake, carb, distributor, fuel pump and all the accessories from the original 327. You might have to use the 327 valve covers to make it look all original. This would put your mom back on the road with an ALL NEW 350 for $1500 plus the cost of the gaskets you would need (intake, water pump, fuel pump). It would work well with the Powerglide transmission, and no worries about running on unleaded gas with the 8.5:1 compression ratio and hardened exhaust seats in the heads (which the 327 won't have if it's original).

If Mom wants an original "numbers matching" car these suggestions are all null n void, but with your idea of using your engine from your Pontiac it wouldn't be "numbers matching" either.

·
Petrol Head
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll step outside and grab pictures right now, sorry about the delay.

We haven't bought her a new motor because she wants to keep her original 327. I'm only temporarily installing my engine so that she is at least able to driver her car until she can get her engine rebuilt.
Swapping in my motor allows her the benefit of buying a new one, without diminishing her savings for a rebuild, basically.

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
Hey guys, been a veeeery long time since I've posted here, but I was hoping I could bounce an idea off your collective heads.

My mom bought her dream car a few years back, a '67 Chevy Impala. It has been her baby ever since; she loves this car so much.

However, two years ago, after finally completing her new custom interior, her all original, numbers-matching 327 blew an oil ring. Sadly, we are not a wealthy household and the $3k for the rebuild has not been amassing quickly.

Now, my mom has been quite depressed about not having driven her baby in almost two years. She left yesterday for a week, and an idea popped into my head: swap my engine for hers, so she could at least drive her car whilst waiting to save up money.

I drive a '69 Pontiac, running a '69 GM 350cui smallblock mated to a TH350.
I have the necessary tools and equipment to pull our engines, and a fair bit of mechanical knowledge (the rest is in my dad's head).

The Impala has, as I mentioned, a GM 327cui smallblock mated to a Powerglide 2-speed automatic.

My question is, how easy would it be to pull my engine and hers, and do the old switcheroo? I would love to see the look on her face when we pick her up from the airport in her Chevy =D
Pontiac is a different engine for 69, the real Pontiac deal not the GM corporate engine that the Chevy turned into. While it can be fitted to the 67 Impala, the details of the starter and oil filter on opposite sides and the powerglide not bolting up without an adapter along with different mounts are all issues that will eat away at your time and money.

The easiest solution would be to buy either a crate short or long block SBC. A rebuilt 350 would be the most bang for the buck plug this into your browser PS35068D2 it should provide a really good example that will pretty much bolt in. this is a lot less than 3 kilo bucks but will take you cleaning some old parts from the 327 to use. I doubt you mom needs a 327, nor a race motor so just a run of the mill rebuilt 350 would be just fine. The 350 will look and mostly act just like the 327 from your mom's point of view. I recommend the 350 simply because there are so many of them they are cheap. The 305 is the same way tons out there, they look the same as a 327 or 350, your mom probably couldn't tell this difference to the 327 either.

Bogie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.