Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 48 Plymouth special deluxe and i am very interested in converting to a 12v negative ground system and dont know where to start im not used to the older cars its a new a venture for me, I would really appreciate if someone could help me out. thank you in advance

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
.......keeping the same engine/gauges - if so, you will have some problems. Starter will run backwards though a 6VDC starter will work on 12VDC - as long as polarity is right, generator - will need to be replaced or better yet, install an alternator, gauges will need to be replaced or modified along with all senders. The lights - they don't care except they need to be 12VDC, the ignition system, will need a different and 12VDC coil. New condenser for neg ground, tho the points don't care either. New 12VDC ballast resistor. Radio - wont work (if it has one).

Now, if you are changing the drive line to something modern - it will all be neg ground - but the gauges and senders still need to be changed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could i Just keep everything but the generator the same and use a voltage box to drop all of the original wiring and everything back to the 6v pos. ground i dont mind everything on the 6v it runs and works fine. i just would like some modern accessories. i looked and i found to use a 10SI alternator. instead of the generator

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.