Hot Rod Forum banner

7 blade fan running 1" from radiator is that ok

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  pbkiel 
#1 ·
On the 46 Nash it has a Pacer suspension which locates the engine foward
so the fan blade runs 1" away from the radiator.. is it STILL necessary to run a shroud even though I'm that close? It will pull the air through w/o the shroud, almost as good since its that close .?

#2 ·
cadipacer said:
so the fan blade runs 1" away from the radiator.. is it STILL necessary to run a shroud even though I'm that close? It will pull the air through w/o the shroud, almost as good since its that close .?

The fan blade should be no deeper into the shroud than 3/4 inch max. That might be difficult, since you only have 1 1/2 inches to play with.

Run it like it is.

If you have idle heat problems in warm weather, consider some type of shroud. Most of the homemade ones you see are poorly engineered, and ugly too.

Those "ring" shrouds are a waste of money.

#3 ·
A shroud is ALWAYS a good idea ...
but sometimes you can get away without one. I ran my 32 Ford roadster for years without one ... but when the engine was replaced with another one with 75 more horsepower ... I had to add a shroud.

#4 ·
Ford even experimented with fan shrouds as early as 1928, then ashcanned the idea. Good thing, every mechanic and car owner would have discarded them after the first time removed.
Unless you have a extremely hot engine and a minimal radiator your fan spacing should be just fine and keep the engine cool. Be sure to run a 50/50 mix of water and coolant and a 180 degree thermostat.

#6 ·
cadipacer said:
The engine cooling system wouldn't work if the radiator fan is not functioning properly, for it is simply impossible to cool the radiator properly with a damaged automotive fan. And fan blades are important part of it. It allows to draw as much air through the radiator. Therefore it must be properly installed. Shrouds are good, bro says...

My VW fan blades are installed properly... thanks to my bro! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.