Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Im working on my 81 elcamino... currently im in the get it running phase. (probably just long enough to remind myself that I want to do the 350 swap) anyway, when dad parked the car he was nice enough to leave the fuel tank just a tad under full... about 10-12 gallons.

My question, since this fuel is 7years old and is less than usable, What can i do with it... is there an additive that i can add to make it usable? Can i just take it to the local auto shop to dispose of like i do with oil?

IM not sure what to do with all this fuel, but i cant try to get it running till i get some fresh fuel in there.

thanks,

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,307 Posts
About the only thing you can add to it to make it usable is more gasoline. One gallon of the old varnish mixed in with about 10 gallons of 93 octane makes a combustible liquid that I would put in a lawn mower or an old tractor, but that's about it.

I like the brush pile idea.

·
Just stuck
435 Posts
curtis73 said:
About the only thing you can add to it to make it usable is more gasoline. One gallon of the old varnish mixed in with about 10 gallons of 93 octane makes a combustible liquid that I would put in a lawn mower or an old tractor, but that's about it.

I like the brush pile idea.
I wouldn't even use it for a lawn mower and I can only imagine what the tank looks like with 7 year old fuel in it. It's bound to be rusty as can be...

·
I weld things
36 Posts
when i bought my cadillac it had half a tank of 12 year old varnish in it. the car started and ran like crap on the old gas so i filled it with 93 and ran it - stalled a few times but burned it up no problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think it will be much fun... but I think im going to have to find a way to drain the tank I think i can unhook the fuel line and drain it that way, as long as i open the gas cap this should work as a (gravity) drain . Ill have to buy a couple 5 gallon gas tanks to put it in though...as for the carb, i have a swap canidate on the work bench to resolve this issue (the one on there looks to have seeped some fuel through the seals and has varnish on it... so ill rebuild the other one. hopefully one of them works!

Ill be trying to drain the fuel this weekend.... i hope it goes well, i want to see if this thing still runs! (even if it is just long enough to remind me how gutless the 3.8 really is).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have use a product called SEA FOAM in old gas several times with great results. almost every car/truck that I have bought in the last three years has had old gas in it and they ran fine with a tune up and some SEA FOAM. Good Luck! :) :thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, turnd out that the old gas still burned... i added about 5 gallons of fresh gas and i fired up without any problemd, i have since rebuilt the carb. Need to reinstall it this week.... updates later.

but in short... IT RUNS!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bad varnish

My el camino sat till the gas cracked out too.

I pumped all I could out with a holley electric fuel pump, poured fresh gas into it.. brand new engine, brand new plugs. It now needs new plugs. THE filter, thank god I had enough sense to add a fuel can in front of the quadrajet.
the varnish in the tank still sloshes around dissolving in the new gas making it crap out too.

That holley electric fuel pump.. a old car sitting in the weeds, if it will turn over, if it ran when parked, it will run off a 3 gallon can and a electric fuel pump. Even ones I have poured marvel mystery oil down and broke loose have ran. Not well.. but ran..

A kit to revive old cars.. a small gas engine powered alternator, a electric fuel pump.. battery with GOOD cables.. I am building to go onto the back of my "toy" one ton.. and wrecker.. I just want to do other things too.. like put two mini-bike wheels on it and ride it around events.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Old fuel, Old tractors, Bad idea.

I thought I could run diluted old gas in a Ford 8N tractor. It has a flathead motor.
Because the valve stem is below the valve head, the old stuff seeped down the past valve stem and guides, and then I had to disassemble the engine to free up the stuck valves.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I said I had one.. you haven't met me.. so.. here it is..

My old El Camino, bought it for $1400, engine was sitting out of it, but rebuilt 305HO came with it, My wife ran the wrecker boom handles and I sat the motor in, it was 18 degrees. I now have near $3k in it. It is new mostly under the hood.

I posted it on craigslist once to fund the build of another project.. OMG.. No rust, if I ever sell this one I'll never find another like it.

Nothing wrong with a 305, unless you want to go fast.. in that case.. C'mere.. lemme show you what I have ratpacked away.. It's "that" kind of engine you'd have to run 2 stroke oil in the Premium gas we get today thou. Last body I put it into rippled up like a waffle.

Best wishes..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.