Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to redo the whole brake system on my '70 Impala (front discs, rear drums), as the brake lines are rusty.
The original M/C and booster on the car are very corroded but work well. I have a junkyard set (M/C and booster) that is very clean, but obviously I do not know its actual condition.
I see rebuild kits are available on line: how difficult is it to rebuild M/C and booster? Is it better (easier!) to buy a new M/C from Rockauto? Rockauto does not have boosters though, so what do you recommend?
I want to stay all OEM.
Thanks!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
39 master, I wish you were right, but they are out of stock for boosters... And what they advertise is a "return and rebuild" service. I am in France and the shipping for those is the same price as the part itself...
I just looked on Rock Auto and they do list boosters but separate from the M/C.
Anyway, thanks for the advice, I will go for new M/C and booster, then.
Does a proportioning valve wear out? Should I also get a new one?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Oops, sorry, didn't see you are in France. Yes, there are several companies that sell the M/C and booster as a set. Just measure the diameter of what you have and match it as close as you can with a "set".

As far as the lines go it sounds like you need to replace them. Several problems come up here. First, the lines are SAE and not metric but close. Second, the flares are inverted, again SAE style and not bubble as per European. You will need the tools to double flare the brake line. Last, I highly recommend the newer copper/nickle/steel lines. They look like copper but are approved as a brake line replacement. Easy to bend and flare and never rust.

Your prop valve should be just fine as long as the threads are not boogered up. Clean it and use it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, sorry, didn't see you are in France. Yes, there are several companies that sell the M/C and booster as a set. Just measure the diameter of what you have and match it as close as you can with a "set".

As far as the lines go it sounds like you need to replace them. Several problems come up here. First, the lines are SAE and not metric but close. Second, the flares are inverted, again SAE style and not bubble as per European. You will need the tools to double flare the brake line. Last, I highly recommend the newer copper/nickle/steel lines. They look like copper but are approved as a brake line replacement. Easy to bend and flare and never rust.

Your prop valve should be just fine as long as the threads are not boogered up. Clean it and use it.
Yes, the rusty lines are the main issue actually, I was thinking that it would a good time to do M/C and booster at the same time. And I will buy all the needed parts in the US, it is just that shipping my parts all the way over there to have them rebuilt, and then shipped back, does not make much sense!
As for the lines, I was kind of looking into pre-bent kits, probably easier to do. I know about nicopp lines, a roll is pretty cheap, but then, with the cost of all the connectors, maybe pre-bent/pre-formed is just as easy...
Although, while typing this, I suddenly wonder if I could re-use my original connectors?... Or is it a really stupid idea?...
Good news for the prop valve!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.