Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 70 Pontiac Lemans and just build a new 350 for it, I know I shouldnt have wasted the money on the 350 but nevertheless I now need to rebuild a tranny for it. I have two th350s, one that doesnt go inreverse which is in the car and the other is one I got off of craigslist. I was thinking of attempting to rebuild it myself through it should be straight forward and I am low on money. Is it wise to rebuild it myself or should I wait and save my money to take it to get rebuild? Another question what rebuild kit should I get for it? I also need to get a torque converter and am still a little lost on what stall speed I need. The engine to my estimates should make around 300-400 HP, I have an edelbrock manifold with 4bbl Holley 4150 Double pumper, Headers, HEI distributor, it has a moderate cam in it 230, 236 @.50 duration and .488, .491 lift, I believe it has a 3.08 in the back but plan to upgrade to smaller gear, any suggestions?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well, you got one going for you. Or I should say, two. First take the one without reverse, and take it apart and see if you can find the problem. You don't worry about costs and what needs to be fixed until you know for sure what is the problem and what it takes to fix it. NO its not hard to rebuild a 350 tranny. Second, I've use other trannys for parts. I use what ever is the best parts and pitch the worst. Many years ago, when I was broke, I rebuilt a tranny from three, and it worked great. All I bought was the gasket set. It ran perfectly till the car rusted away. Get a good rebuild book and study the net.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Find a local shop that will do a carry-in. I had my TH350 done about 15 years ago, ran me a flat $300. I did bring him 2 actually, I had a spare and he needed some parts out of that to complete the build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts