Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 chevy silverado with a 383kit in it this is the second time that the bell housing has broken I welled the first time and a cupple day's later there it was broken again I'm thinking maybe when I bought the truck. It was maybe already cracked or something but I'm not sure anyone have any interest in my problem it would be awesome to get some help thank you

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Assuming you know how to weld aluminum, it could be that you're stressing the housing. I would look to make sure the housing is mating to the back of the block squarely and you also want to make sure that you have a good rear trans mount - OEM rubber style and not a solid mount. I had an aftermarket housing on a 'glide that some previous owner had welded - it was warped side to side by a bit over an 1/4" that didn't show itself easily.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
This is a recurring problem on GM trucks in hard service. If factory this would be a 4L60E and a1998 probably a 4L65E which addresses the cracked case issue. If you back dated to a 700R4 yes it has the same case problem as the 4L60E. Generally in typical GM fashion they put the 700R4 and 4L60E into trucks that should have had the 4L80E.

Bogie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don’t even bother trying to weld a bell housing,it usually doesn’t end well. Some vehicles did have the strut rods . Make sure they are there if they came with that vehicle. Had a customer that broke 2 cases in 3 days.
Was a broken driver side motor mount that caused it.Replaced the mount,no more problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.