Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi me and my dad are rebuilding the 700r in my 92 olds station wagon we rebuilt the 400 in our suburban and it works just great but this 700 is a maze lol. to my question we were having some issues with the old valve body so i got a tci cpv and it told me to remove all the check balls on the trans side so i did but when i did i put the two it wanted in there, back in the holders it asked but i put one check ball in the 1-2 check ball spot instead of 3-4 clutch right next to it and after putting it together i had a ok reverse then it started going down hill fast and i had to 3rd or im assuming 4rth gear can no check ball there cause this i also had a very high 1-2 shift like 31mph 3.5k rpm shift. could that ball have caused all 3 or should i be looking for another problem? we took it apart again and every set of clutch packs engaged with air and were like brand new, i really want to ride in my olds again ant help would be amazing thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Based on the info you are giving,a missing or mis-placed check ball can cause all kinds of problems in any transmission,especially in a modified valve body application like you have,where a lot of the oil flow patterns are changed..If everything air checks good,on the bench,and thru the case with the valve body off, then I would put the checkballs where they belong,make sure the valve body gaskets are installed on the seperater plate correctly, not mis matched,and put it back in the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok update forward shifts all work great but reverse is odd when I start it up in the morning reverse works ok but as the trans warms up I loose reverse and get it back when it cools down. Any thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.