Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 Suburban that I am building a Hummer Kit Truck on. Since it is a 4X4, I could not use the later model transfer case since the drive shaft is on the opposite side on the IFS models. I am using a rebuilt 700R4 and 208 transfer case combination behind the 97 Vortec 5700 350 (l31?).

I have always had manual transmissions and this is my first experience installing an automatic. I have removed them, but never resinstalled.

Based on my knowledge, I should add 1 quart of fluid to the converter and then reseat it properly so that it engages the pump. I will also need 6 3/8 bolts to connect the transmission to the engine. The torque converter bolts were supplied with the transmission.

In this scenario, I assume the orgianl TV cable from the 6.2 diesel to the old 700R4 my need adjusting. Will the old TV cable hook up easily to the new Vortec engine?

What about the wiring? Do I need to check with the transmission shop about the kind of lockup versus non lockup? I have seen several posts about the wiring in this forum. The post at the top from Bow Tie ovrdrives seems pretty thourough. Are there any other lessons learned or information that would be helpful?

Rather than cool the tranny through the radiator, I am considering a remote finned cooler to mount under the truck rather than a separate cooler in fron ot the radiator. Any thoughts on the aluminum finned coolers?

Thanks in advance for all of your comments.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
You will probably need to purchase a new 700r adjustable cable and I would run the cooler thru the radiator also. 700's are very picky as to tv adjustment and operating temp. As for lockup or non there is adifference in the input shaft. The convertors are not interchangable. Most of the good trans sites sell kits to lock the convertor and wiring diag.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.