Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 83 chevy 4wd with the 700r4. It will not shift into 3rd at all. Reverse, 1, and 2 seem to work fine. I also have a 700r4 from a camaro. I have 3 options as best I can tell. I can either try to convert the 2wd 700r4 to 4wd, I can have the 700r4 4wd rebuilt, or should I try to go with a different transmission altogether. I would appreciate any help!

·
Registered
761 Posts
To change from 4wd to 2wd and vice versa, just remove enough of the guts so you can get to the retaining snap ring on the front of the shaft. Remove ring, pull shaft, insert new shaft, replace ring, and reinstall parts you removed.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
same case and internals

but yeah the output shaft is the difference

and its the first part to go in the case

so...

have fun

id sell or trade it off for what you need

unless you know trannies real well

·
Registered
264 Posts
while if you could not do it you could take it to a tranny shop and have them to the conversion for not to much. However your 2wd case is weaker than you 4x4 case. the 4x4 case has K on the side of the case and is a Little thicker. being its your froward gear going bad, and you wont to attempt it you could pull the front pump from both trannys and grab the shaft and pull those drums out and swap them out that is most of the forward gear stuff. if you take to a shop to have that done you may as well just let them rebuild it for you the price probably wont be much different.

you can get some dvd from ebay for around 30 bucks to help you rebuild it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.