Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a 700r4 which has a crack around the bell housing dose anyone know the ali spec, as the guy who is going to weld it wants to no

or who has welded a case before and what rods have you used

cheers stuart

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The 700R4 that was rebuilt for my rod had a cracked bellhousing bolt hole lug. I used a bare block to bolt it to then took it to a friend of mine who tig welded it. After he was through I smoothed it up with a flap disc. After painting you can't even tell it.

Vince

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply the guy i have taken it to said if i can find out what the ali case is made of he can then use the correct welding rod

he said the (ams)number of the casting material ,then he could use the proper welding rod for the job

Did the guy that done yours just use a genral alloy welding rod?
cheers stuart

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
stuartc said:

Did the guy that done yours just use a genral alloy welding rod?
cheers stuart
Yep general aluminum welding rod, he wasn't concerned with what the aluminum alloy was. The crack in my case wasn't that big, only about two inches around the bolt hole.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kevin that is what i am looking for but what is the grade of the ali on the 700r4 case, then he can use the correct rod
i think i will get him to just use a genral welding rod i dont think iam going to be able to get the info i need
cheers stuart

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.