Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im jason, im new here, and hope i can get some good info for my truck it is a:

GMC sierra classic 1500
4X4 with lock out hubs
305 engine, new edelbrock performer aluminum intake and edelbrock 1405 4 barrel carb, rest is stock
700R4 tranny
172 thousand miles on engine and truck, about 2500 on tranny.

ok I might be only 16 years old with my first truck my dad gave me that used to be his, but i think i know quite a bit about these old school CARBURETED trucks, I do all my own maintence and what ever needs fixed, and not ashamed to say i still have quite a bit to learn, and always wanting to know more. my dad has taught me a lot. I am very picky about my truck, it really gets to me, if i think i was hard on it the last drive out, i always buy top of the line parts whenever i can, and slowly trying to add my "personal" touch to it. i would love nothing more to restore this truck and drop a 327 in it, the body is still in VERY good condition for its age even tho the clearcoat on the paint is peeling, its still one of the best looking old GMCs around here, because i take a lot of pride in this truck and always keep it spotless, if it tells you anything, i wash it myself and it usually takes me 3 or 4 hrs by the time in done inside and out. Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to get oyu familiar with my situation, now to my question

last summer when i was 15 the tranny went out very suddenly and my dad was just going to tow it to the shop and we then came up with having me take the tranny out myself, so i did, took it out and brought the tranny to the transmission shop (local guy) he said he totally rebuilt the tranny with a new lockup torque converter and the bill was about 400 or 450 bucks so i brought it back and put in the tranny and got it running, no licence or registration, so it never left the house, we didnt get the TV cable hooked up right away (not much knowledge about these 700r4s then) and all i used it for was to go to the back yard to haul a little wood to the house never got above 5-8 mph or out of first gear no hard work either, finally figured out how to hook it up and did that, i bolted it right to the side of the carb arm where theres a slot for itand adjusted it, so now ive got my licence and truck runs good, everything hooked up, and ive put about 2500 miles on it this summer myself and i have always thought something wasnt quite right, ive changed the fluid and filter once in it, just because. and it doesent seem to have very much grab-and-go, if i floor it at about 35 or 40, it will get up to 70 from there but it just likes to take its time getting there, Is this normal? shifts good when cold but when it gets warm from first to second it seems to almost shift twice but it doesnt its like a softer shift once then another, then all the other shifts SEEM ok to me, fluid isnt burnt, i adjusted the cable by pushing the slider all the way in and getting in and pushing the throttle all the way down, so is all this normal? or does it raise a big red flag? what am i to expect out of this transmission? i mean the truck has 33" tires on it and at a stop sign it wont even break traction, if i gun it.

im just worried that i will have to rebuild it again soon because they are SO touchy, tell you what ill BUY a different tranny, heard too much crap about these 700r4s,

thank you, any and all input is GREATLY appreciated, please give me some peace of mind, or tell me what i need to fix next, and what i can expect this tranny to be like,

thank you,
jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 700r4. I did the rebuild myself so I thought I just messed something up internally. It turned out, my pedal wouldn't let my throttle body reach WOT. I fixed that in an afternoon, and the next day I re-set my TV cable(while looking at the valve body to make sure it wasn't stretched) with the help of a friend. Now it shifts perfect

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
GMCguy said:
Hi, im jason, im new here, and hope i can get some good info for my truck it is a:......
Welcome to Hotrodders.

If you are confident in the local guy and his rebuild, then it just seems to me the 305 is lacking some in getting it done. Big truck, big tires, tall gears. You get the picture.

If things were missed or not made right during the rebuild, you may end up doing it all over again soon. TV adjustment is critical. You shouldn't have driven it AT ALL with it unhooked.

There have been many OEM updates over the years and the aftermarket is ripe with good strong parts.

Best of luck.

·
all jacked up on mountain dew
66 Posts
my first thought while reading your post is lack of power from the 305 with the big tires and the heavy truck...but as c10 said tv cable adjustment is critical i would check the linkage and make sure i was getting wot and then readjust as needed...before i went and spent more cash on another rebuild or better yet a better tranny!! do you know what gears your running in the truck? bigger the tire the more gear you will need to turn them over

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.