Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 1983 700r4 laying around and I would like to have it built to put in my 48 Chevy sedan. I heard the newer ones are alot better but all I am using for an engine is a zz4 crate motor. Will this trans be acceptable with a performance rebuild buy a reputable tranny shop? Also, can I get some suggestions on wiring for the lock-up torque convertor? Lastly, is there a kickdown kit available to hook the tv cableup to a carb? Thanks I am new to these OD transmissions.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
700r4

The early 700R4 such as your '83 model are a very poor choice to use and have a lot of weaknesses,up until 1987 GM made a lot of changes trying to get it right.The best core in a 700R4 is a 1987-91 unit these have all the internal mods that will allow them to live and are also non-computer so work well in an earlier model swap.www.transmissioncenter.net has almost any part you will want to do your upgrades and good tech advice (also a great CD on rebuilding).Also do a lot of research on proper TV cable adjustment,do it wrong and a 700R4 can get wiped out in minutes.

·
Registered
761 Posts
302 Z28 said:
I would look for a later model 700R4 if it were me.

Vince
If you want a non-auxilliary valve body type like the 1983, then get a late 1986 or early 1987. If you want the auxilliary valve body, then go with Crosley's suggestion.

You can easily tell the difference between aux and non-aux by the casting seam that arches over the oil tube fittings. Seam = auxilliary valve body.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I was talking to the owner of a local tranny shop and he told me he likes using the 82 3 and 4 models bacause you do not need any wiring for the lockup torque convertor. Im not an automatic expert but he tried to explain it to me over the phone and said they can put a valve in (or maybe they already have this valve) that runs on pressure and then it signals the solenoid to lock it and unlock it. My explanation might make no sense but thats kinda how i remember it. Is this true?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
lt1tyrell said:
Ok I was talking to the owner of a local tranny shop and he told me he likes using the 82 3 and 4 models bacause you do not need any wiring for the lockup torque convertor. Im not an automatic expert but he tried to explain it to me over the phone and said they can put a valve in (or maybe they already have this valve) that runs on pressure and then it signals the solenoid to lock it and unlock it. My explanation might make no sense but thats kinda how i remember it. Is this true?
Thsi can be done on 81-88 models.
TranGo part# 700-LU >> http://www.transgo.com/valve_bushing.php

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.