Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got the nova back from the shop with the fresh 700r4 build. took the car out for a cruise and went about 10-15 miles or so. all of a sudden i could rev to 4 grand and the car would barely move, then it slowly lost the gear completely. so i pulled into a parking lot quickly and turned the car off. i checked the tranny oil.. it was full and the fluid wasn't burnt. i waited about 10 minutes went in the store and came back out and started the car. i put it in reverse and backed out and put it in drive and went to the parking lot across the street at which point it started to "lose the gear" again and slip away. every time i turn the car off and let it sit and restart it all the gears engage again but only last for so long. is this something simple like a pressure problem--pump went out? it's all under warranty and is back in the shop but is sitting there due to the holidays and i thought someone could shed some light on this. thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sounds like it stripped the turbine hub spline in the torque converter. Quality, performance rebuilt converters use steel turbine hubs.

If this is not the issue you may have a filter problem (plugged or fell out of pump). This is a little less likely unless there is a trans pan issue.....

·
Registered
498 Posts
If the pan is not the stock steel pan, there may be an issue with filter support. If the filter is not supported by the pan it will fall out of the pump.

·
Frmly sc*ot.
535 Posts
I bet you are low on fluid
I know you said it is full, but with fresh fluid the level can be very hard to read on the dipstick. Try over and over to read the level on the dipstick.
I bet you are 2-3 qts low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts