Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently reinstalled my tunnel mounted Lokar shifter from bottom side to top side. The shifter arm moves properly from park through first and I observed the tranmission bracket while doing so to ensure no binding or other hinderance. However, when I start the car and put the shifter in either 1st or 2nd the transmission behaves as if in drive, i.e. it starts in low and shifts thru each gear up to 3rd then o.d.. Could there be an internal problem with the transmission or am I missinq the obvious?

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
It's internal to the valvebody calibration. It is set up to override the lower gear selector positions in order to prevent a clueless user from leaving the trans in too low a gear and hurting the trans or engine with too much rpm.
GM's idea of soccer mom/yuppie warrantee BS is what it really is.

How to correct in on the 700 R4 you'll have to research it, it may be as simple as a valvebody recalibration kit(shift kit) install....but I don't know.
Some Turbo 350's were this way, that's all I've dealt with. Valvebody kit was how to fix it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I witnessed this in 1986 riding in my buddy's dads brand new Vette.
We always held the shifter in low, in every car to run it out. We were surprised when this one shifted on its own at about 5800 i think.
It was a long time ago, that number may be off...

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's internal to the valvebody calibration. It is set up to override the lower gear selector positions in order to prevent a clueless user from leaving the trans in too low a gear and hurting the trans or engine with too much rpm.

How to correct in on the 700 R4 you'll have to research it, it may be as simple as a valvebody recalibration kit(shift kit) install....but I don't know.
Some Turbo 350's were this way, that's all I've dealt with. Valvebody kit was how to fix it.
Th

Thank you Eric for your insight. I did not have this problem prior to reconfiguring the shifter. Can the valve bodies self recalibrate? During one of the test drives in my neighborhood I inadvertently dropped it from D to1 fighting the balky shifter. Was probably going less than 5 mph but it was enough to lock up the tires momentarily.

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
240 Posts
Th

Thank you Eric for your insight. I did not have this problem prior to reconfiguring the shifter. Can the valve bodies self recalibrate? During one of the test drives in my neighborhood I inadvertently dropped it from D to1 fighting the balky shifter. Was probably going less than 5 mph but it was enough to lock up the tires momentarily.
What you experienced by shifting into L1 manually is engine braking. There is a specific clutch pack in that transmission that will enable that. The low 1st gear and the engine braking can cause what you experienced. In manual L1, L2 and D you should have engine braking (vehicle slows down off the gas instead of coasting). With the selector in OD the clutch pack for engine braking isn't engaged. You should get more of a coasting as opposed to that slowing down feeling in all forward gears.

If you're not experiencing engine braking on most of the driving you do, I wonder if something is holding up the cable from full range of movement. Maybe the new position of the cable is causing binding somewhere?? I'm thinking the abrupt action when fighting the shifter was enough to overcome the bind and give you a true manual L1 as opposed to being held up in OD.

Drive it and pay attention to whether or not you have engine braking. If you don't, there's a bind somewhere in the cable and you're in OD. Irrespective of what the shifter says.

I'm a hobbyist and not really a transmission guy. Hopefully some of the folks that really know this stuff can chime in to confirm or deny what I think. I figured I would take a shot at understanding what's going on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts