Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a newly rebuilt tranny laying around and just installed it in my car the tranny was rebuilt a while back and my bro just ha it in the basment the car worked great for a fewdays but now when i get in my camaro i drive it goes and shift great until it warms up then it slips more and more till it wont go and it makes a weird rattling noice can anyone giveme some advice

·
Registered
685 Posts
Has the condition of the fluid changed since you installed trans?

Did you flush trans cooling system?

Did you reuse old converter? As soon as it warms up it stops moving,correct? Like the filter is getting clogged?

Is the noise in every gear range,including park?

If you shut it off for a few minutes can you start it,drive off,then it starts the cycle again?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeyte

briscoe said:
Has the condition of the fluid changed since you installed trans?

Did you flush trans cooling system?

Did you reuse old converter? As soon as it warms up it stops moving,correct? Like the filter is getting clogged?

Is the noise in every gear range,including park?

If you shut it off for a few minutes can you start it,drive off,then it starts the cycle again?

yea it is the original converter. it has been laying around for a long time when my bro got the trans it sat in his pickup covered for a while do you think thats what it is

·
Registered
685 Posts
This is what I'm thinking. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

You pulled the transmission out of your car because it was trashed.
You may or may not have cleaned the cooler lines.
You took the converter,from the trashed unit. :nono:
Then you stuck it in the unit you got from your "bro".
How am I doing so far?

Now,how can you test it,well what does the fluid look like now,because it was red when you stuck it in. If it is not red now,suspect the stuff from the torque converter made it change color. It's hard to get the red back.

Ok I shall scold you no more. It sounds like the filter is clogged.

Your best bet now is to pull the trans pan, change the filter,clean out all of the garbage that will be laying in the bottom,and hope that takes care of it.

Please post back,let us know how it turned out,good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fixed it

well i pulled the converter the other night and the oil inside was sothink with little metal pieces it must have been falling apart in side and it cloged my tans filter well i put a new 2500 lock up in and a new filter and it runs and shifts perfect also the fluid in the tranny looked new no color change just in the converter

·
Registered
685 Posts
700R4 need help fast

Transmissions are kind of funny,logic would dictate your trans will not do well for long[metal circulating thru it].

But it may do ok. The trans needed to have come apart and be cleaned,at least.

Your budget may not have allowed this,I understand.

So we will hope for the best,good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts