Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently upgraded my '77 El Camino to a 700R4. With the help of my mechanic friend I did a complete overhaul, and installed a B&M shift improver kit, Transgo separator plate, Bowtie Overdrives TV made easy kit for my Edelbrock carb, Derale cooling pan, Trickshift fluid, and the TV valve portion of the Transgo SK700 Jr. I was thinking of upgrading a few other components, but this is the first transmission I have ever worked on and I want to make sure I'm making the right choices. This is my everday driver, and my goal is to have a performance tranny, with firm fast shifts that is still comfortable to drive, but above all one that will last. Any comments/guidance on what I'm thinking of doing or what I should consider doing would be greatly appreciated

Here's what I was thinking:

1. Installing either the Sonnax .471 or .500 TV boost valve, along with a larger reverse boost valve (not sure on the correct combination) along with the performance pressure regulating spring
2. Installing the Sonnax "Super Hold" 2nd and 4th servo's
3. Installing the Sonnax servo release check valve
4. Removing the accumulator blocking rods installed with the B&M kit and replacing them with the Sonnax pinless accumulator's with heavier springs (not sure which springs to use in either accumulator, all I can find are colors, which mean nothing to me)
5. Possibly upgrading the accumulator valve assembly (not sure if it's necessary, also comes in "light weight" "medium weight" and "heavy weight" and I'm not sure what my vehicle would be considered
6. Last but not least, I'm not sure if I do these upgrades, if it's a good idea, I'm not sure if I should "undo" the other mods I did for the B&M kit. These include enlarging holes in the separator plate, removal of the 4th clutch check ball, and removal of the MTV upshift valve spring

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
I do not understand the mixing of quality TransGo kit & parts with the B&M stuff.

Any idea what year this 700-4L60 is?

Use the PR spring in the TG kit and a .500 main boost valve.

Install the TG red spring in the line bias valve in v-body

What is the size of the low-reverse boost valve now? measure the diameter of longer valve spool , not the short one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response Crosley. Honestly, I installed the B&M kit before doing my homework, if I had it to do all over again I would go with the complete Transgo SK700 kit, but I'm trying to avoid pulling the trans completely out again.The reason I ordered the SK700 Jr. was to fix my TV valve that kept hanging up.

The trans is an '89, as far as the size of the reverse boost valve, it's whatever came stock, not sure.

Do you think I should undo all the mods that went along with the B&M kit? The mods were: Removing the MTV upshift valve spring, removing the 4th clutch checkball, and drilling out the spacer plate.

Also what is your opinion on the Sonnax parts I want to install?

Any info on the accumulator springs, I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.