Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 700r4 in my car that drives great except, if i put it in manual first it goes 10 feet then locks up the tires and just revs, if I drive I only feel the 2-3 shift not the 1-2, and if I come to a stop in third gear I feel 1 downshift which I imagine is 2-3. I’ve adjusted the TV cable and it has not changed anything so I reset it back to where it shifts the best but nothing has changed. The transmission only has 50 miles on it since rebuild.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Do you still have reverse?

If you do then there's a good chance the 1-2 shift valve is getting stuck. You will have to remove the pan and valve body to clean/replace the shift valve. Pay attention to the location of the steel balls - they must go back in the proper location.

If you don't have reverse then sorry to say you have some hardware failure and it will have to come apart.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Yep still have reverse, what’s odd is I just went out after it cooled down and first worked fine, but after a short drive when it had gotten to temp I lost first again.
Could be an internal leak causing a pressure issue - once the fluid is hot it's viscosity has dropped enough to cause a problem.

Here's a link to a previous pressure discussion:

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Don’t know how or if the temperature ties in. What I base this on is manual low uses the sprag clutch, automatic low does not. The lockup in manual low speaks strongly to something wrong with the sprag clutch.

The loss of automatic low leads me into a problem with the governor or forward clutch.

I expect that these problems go back to whom ever rebuilt the tranny.

You should take it back to the rebuilder, at only 25 miles my money is riding on something they did.

TV adjustment is sensitive on these trannies and is something that should be set with a pressure gauge. That said miss adjustment is usually more damaging to the upper gear clutches and the 2/4 band than the lower gear clutches but since the 2/4 band does double duty if it fails in 4th, second is screwed to some extent as well, but 4th is harder on the band than second so it may be OK in that gear. When in doubt on the TV cable at full extension it should be as tight as a guitar string to insure the pressures are maxed out. This usually delays the shift points but listening to the engine wind up a little before the shift is a lot less expensive than a band and clutch job.

At any rate the shop that rebuilt it should be given the opportunity to fix it.

Bogie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.