Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering why my transmission won’t hold 1st gear... Tv cable is adjusted right I’m not a 100% but think it’s out of a 88 2500 it’s in my 92 blazer now I still have the one from the blazer but it’s toasted. It’s been built for a 600hp big block and has a 3500 stall I manually shift to 1st and it will bark the tires into second on it’s own with out even shifting it

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I wrote a book then found the video below and actually shows the amount of slack you want.

Start with the TV cable. That is almost always the issue with a 700r4 shifting wrong. Once you determine that is good then you can move onto other less common things that would cause it to shift early.

·
Burnt out transmission tech.
1,020 Posts
Wondering why my transmission won’t hold 1st gear... Tv cable is adjusted right I’m not a 100% but think it’s out of a 88 2500 it’s in my 92 blazer now I still have the one from the blazer but it’s toasted. It’s been built for a 600hp big block and has a 3500 stall I manually shift to 1st and it will bark the tires into second on it’s own with out even shifting it
Make sure the linkage is properly adjusted. Sounds like it is out of whack.

·
Administrator
9,988 Posts
If this is a 1988 700r4 transmission, it may have the early design valve body. The early design 700r4 valve body will upshift to 2nd gear while the shifter is in manual 1st gear.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I remember back in 86 my buddys dad bought a brand new Corvette. We were amazed how it shifted on its own, even with the selector bein pulled all the way down into Low 1.
Since then a bunch of other cars I have driven do the same thing. I guess its a Self Preservation type thing built in from the Factory...

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Gosh, is this really a problem??? Guess I'm just old. Wonder how the other transmission got fried??
Not that big of a issue on the street. But if he hits say some sand dunes you don't want the thing shifting on you half the way up a hill.
That being said holding 2nd is often good for most dunes. Not "to" fast yet keeps the rpm up so you can float over and climb up most angles.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Not that big of a issue on the street. But if he hits say some sand dunes you don't want the thing shifting on you half the way up a hill.
That being said holding 2nd is often good for most dunes. Not "to" fast yet keeps the rpm up so you can float over and climb up most angles.
Speaking of holding 2nd...
The 700R4 in my 78 C10 is set up to when I pull the shifter all the way down, it is actually in 2nd. I like this for a couple different reasons. 1st off its an automatic with a column shifter, so I usually put it in D and let it do its thing. Second thing I like, is the truck will absolutely blow the street tires off from a stop or even a slow roll. So pulling it down, and holding in second gear makes for some good, long, rolling burnouts without having to "power brake" to get it started. First gear is so short, it shifts to second almost immediately and just goes from there. When I'm ready to shift, only 1 click and I'm back in Drive again.
Mines not a racer, but a fun street cruiser.
Also, if you want it to shift at a higher RPM, you will need to change the weights, and/or springs in the governor.
Most factory cars shifted around 5000 max.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts