Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I just finished rebuilding a 700r4 transmission and I'm having a problem. The trans is a '84 model out of a 4x4 truck, don't know if it was working before I took it apart and I rebuilt it just because I needed to swap the output shaft to install it in a car. I changed all the frictions, seals and gaskets and used the ATRA manual as a guide. I have rebuilt several Powerglides, th350 and th400 without any trouble yet but this time I'm out of luck. This 700r4 works good in first and reverse but the rest of the gears just dont work. With the shifter in D it remains in low and does not shift at any speed. I tried to shift manually but it doesn't work either. The TV cable has an initial set , the TV plunger is not locked, it slides freely and the spring moves it back and the centrifugal governor does not show any problem either. The gear is in perfect shape and the plunger moves freely. During the rebuilt procces I didn't see any obvious problem and there wasn't anything strange in the oil pan. So, before I take the trans out of the car (big PITA) I'm looking for some opinions here. Any clue where I should aim at? I guess I will be taking out the valvebody to check it but any input from experienced people is apreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi '49!
I'm pretty sure the drivetrain part is correctly assembled (fingers crossed). I installed the checkballs in their previous location (took a photo when dissasembled) and it matched the locations shown in the manual. I remember all the plungers in the valve body looked good and moved freely. Regarding the band adjustment I didn't really remebered doing that step, so I checked the procedure and I can tell you I didn't do it. Why? I don't know. Probably because I didn't have the tool at the moment or maybe just because I'm an idiot! In any case I didn't do my homework so I will start with that. I will have to take the tans out since the tunnel is just too tight. Anyway, with the trans out I will recheck the valve body and everything else. Will look at your links so I learn something positive out of this little tragedy.
Thanks a lot sir!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No way sir! I did a very ugly hole in the other side of the tunnel and was ready to make a bigger one in this side, but the 2-4 servo is in a very inconvenient place even to cut around. I'm 42 and have a good share of that kind of work!
Yes, the governor engages perfectly in the output shaft I swaped. ,I was answering to the previous post before seen yours. Sorry about that!
And yes, I'm in Uruguay. Very close to the ass of the world.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I finally found something suspicious thanks to you '49 Ford! The 2-4 servo pin is the longer one and it only left little more than 2mm of travel. I changed the band but didn't check clearances. What an idiot! Learning every day I guess. I just grinded it and now it has little more than 6mm (1/4"). Will get it together and report results. Thanks a lot to all of you!
Office supplies Writing implement Pen Writing instrument accessory Tints and shades

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boring saturday, so I took the tranny off. Again. At least its getting easier every time! I don't have a pressure gauge here but will get one on monday. In the mean time will check valve body.
Font Art Gas Metal Pattern

What do you think about the position of the checkballs? They're in the same spot they were when I bought it but again, Im not sure this was working right or working at all.
Product Gas Engineering Machine Auto part

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
None of the holes look modified, all seems fine there.

Engineering Gas Auto part Metal Automotive tire
Line Wood Landscape Soil Electric blue

Of course '49 ford, checking every valve in this freaking valvebody! Nothing stuck or strange so far.
Thanks for the input guys.
Will keep posting results.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Pressure checked the band and it works fine. Went trough those links '49 Ford and have a couple more leads. Will follow them as soon as I finish checking the valve body.

Wood Road surface Asphalt Wall Gas

1-2 throttle valve assembly looks good. Wasn't sticking or dirty. Will check all others just in case.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not much new to report pal!

Textile Rectangle Grey Wood Floor

I already finished cleaning the BV and plate.

Automotive tire Grey Font Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Looks like one of the servos spring was working broken at some time but the spring is fine now.
Right now I'm just waiting for te BV gaskets to assemble and test.
Yes! I will order the parts you suggested, but down here things happens at a slower rate. Could take a month to get the parts here so in the mean time I will keep testing what I can with what I have. In the next few days I will be installing the trans again, testing and reporting. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Solved!!!!
Or at least it works with the car on stands. Still have to play with the TV cable adjustment on the road but all 4 speeds shifts either manually or automatic. The last I done was disassemble and clean all the valves on the valve body. None looked bad or stuck but obviously somehting was going on there because it works fine now.

Thanks to all of you guys to take the time to help me solve this mistery. I will report hare as soon as I take the car on the street.

Thanks a lot!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.