Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 overdrive

926 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  mjgord51
A tag on the other post.
I bought one of those pressure switchs that go into the 4th OD external port kits all over the internet.
My question is now, what do I do when the transmission doesn't have a external port. In fact it doesn't have ANY external ports aside from the cooler lines.
What now?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
pretty sure the switch is 1/8 npt,not sure about the adapters if you need to use them,and yes right in the middle of the cover.This was one of the earlier design kits, most of the kits now put the switch on the 4th gear pressure port on the valvebody.

· Race it, Don't rice it!
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3w coupe
Your're right, the switch is 1/8" NPT. I won't need the fitting adapter if I put it on the servo cover. I have room without them.

Racer-X-
I had not planned too. Im just using a switch on the dash to turn it off when not needed/wanted. Just keeping it simple for now.

· Born 13th Generation U.S.A.
588 Posts
I think I've read that some/all take the Temp Switch out of the newer 87's and up 4L60/700R4's VB as they say its not needed. I do agree with adding the Vac sw. and a Cruise Control brake sw to unlock the TCC when slowing to stops or just slowing due to traffic slow downs or hitting the gas peddle to pass or just to show off (LOL). Also not sure why putting a toggle sw to turn it off when in slower City speeds as this could be done just by pulling the shifter down or dropping a gear. Back to the Temp Sw I live at a higher elevation 3500 ft and in winters it gets down into the low 10*- 30*s so wouldn't you want the trans to heat up to driving temps for optimal driving conditions for the trans? Just makes sense to me.
Most to all aftermarket TCC loc-up kits don't have or say anything about using a Temp Sw. I know Inter Net searching is full of different ways to get 4th gear lock-up as well with people swearing it is necessary and those who say its not for this sw or that sw.

· Registered
292 Posts
I had not planned too. Im just using a switch on the dash to turn it off when not needed/wanted. Just keeping it simple for now.
Either tie a string from the switch to the accelerator pedal so when you floor it, it turns of the lockup, or look into Superior K058 vacuum switch and run the lockup signal through that in series with your pressure switch on the 4th gear hydraulics.

The converter clutch will let go if you unleash full power from a V8 on it. The only question is whether it's going to slip and wear out/destroy the clutch material very quickly, or whether you cut power to the TCC solenoid and deliberately disengage it.

· Born 13th Generation U.S.A.
588 Posts
Either tie a string from the switch to the accelerator pedal so when you floor it, it turns of the lockup, or look into Superior K058 vacuum switch and run the lockup signal through that in series with your pressure switch on the 4th gear hydraulics.

The converter clutch will let go if you unleash full power from a V8 on it. The only question is whether it's going to slip and wear out/destroy the clutch material very quickly, or whether you cut power to the TCC solenoid and deliberately disengage it.
I like your Avatar, here's why I have the 1:18 scale and the 1:64th scale and they just might be for sale if you twist my arm some LOL.
Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive design
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts