Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this tranny in an 81 Datsun 4x4. I was playing in the back yard stomping it shooting to the end of the yard and coming back and doing it again. I punched it once when i let if off it started rolling back in gear. so it will go in revers. when you put it in drive it will bark the tire, but thats it will not move its like the more gas you give it the less goes to the tranny. I jacked it up and it went into all the gears.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
So , this trans now acts like it is in neutral instead of going forward? Or does it act like it is in 2 gears at once ( forward and reverse) and will not move forward ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope it pulls hard at first. when you put it in revers in pull real hard. In drive if i start it in drive it will bark the tires. give it some gas and its like you have the break on. jack it up and it sifts to second 3rd and 4th. to me its is odd to pull hard enough to spin 33s then boom almost nothing.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
What is the history on this trans?

recent rebuild?

recent service work ? Fluid change?

Old trans from the wrecking yard?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
come out of a 91 van with 81k on the odometer about 2 years ago from a pick a part. I had the ruck running with it for a 6 are 7 months. then i blew the engine. i blew the truck apart and started over again. just got it back moving about a month ago. when i put the new engine in i changed the fluid and filter. it has been pulling real well chirping in second no issue. I'm thinking i had to break something for it to be good one minute and **** the next.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i thoguth maybe i brock somtning in the drive train but when you put it in park you can move it plus i would think you would hear some really bad noise. I have been reserching on rebuilding my self to up grad just wasent quiet ready yet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
while getting ready for work this morning i went out to see what it would do since i had more light. when you put it in gear it will pull some give it a little gas and it starts to move but just holds it in place. give it a little more gas and it will actually let go and roll back were it was.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ant this just what hotrodders get. I still have the original tranny came from a 90 Astor van that lost reverse. pulled good forward but no revers. now my pic a part tranny has on forward gears but a good revers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.