Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was wondering how hard it was to rebuild a 700R4 myself. I have experience rebuilding Studebaker Tranny's (Flight-o-matics) How much different are they one the inside? Are they simply an extra gear or is it more then that?

Also, I am looking at adapting a 700R4 to my Studebaker. I know a company that has successfully made an adapter for it but my question is by way of the wiring and all of the tranny and the lock-up converter. I don't want to engage and disengage is manually. I want it to engage and disengage automatically. What have you guys done? What works awesome? What doesn't?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Bob

206 Posts
700R4 rebuild

I had put one behind my 6.5 Gm Diesel,
as far as wiring... I just used one that is on the plug
on the left side and goes to the solenoid for lock up.
Make sure you adjust the shift cable that gets attached
to the carb linkage the correct way or you'll do some
damage to the trans.

there is more info that your looking for here in this site,
search your topic.

cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I think B&M makes a lockup controller for the 700's that are in non computer controlled cars. Do a search for B&M and see if they have product info.

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
StudebakerBob said:
Update- I think Im going to a 200R4. Smaller, lighter, more durable. Does this change anything?
thats would be my first choice. you may get some nay sayer, but that is a good tranny. the bolt pattern and cross member will change, (which i assume you already know). it uses the same kinda system as the 700r4 for shifting, but you will still need the lock up wire kit of some sort.

good info on diffrant questions you may have

another good link

·
380 Posts
StudebakerBob said:
Thank you very much. Now I just have to find one with a Chevy bolt pattern, for a decent price. Anyone?
what is your budget like.

bowtieoverdrives have good prices for a complete tranny, they even include tech support to help you fine tune it. that is where im goin to get my 200r4 for my caprice. i have not heard a bad thing about them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My budget is way less then that. A unit that is good used. I would take one that needs a rebuild, but it would have to be super cheap.

Anyone?

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Guys it's 2004R.

Bob if you don't feel like dealing with the extra cost of a lockup converter, or the wiring. Companies make non locking converters for the 2004R and 700R4.

·
380 Posts
StudebakerBob said:
My budget is way less then that. A unit that is good used. I would take one that needs a rebuild, but it would have to be super cheap.

Anyone?
those are about the best quality for the price trannys i know about. You may need to go junk yard diving. I belive you could get one for about 2-300 dollars and do a rebuild yourself.

good kits for power

ive also hear good things on this co. ive never delt with them personally, but there kits are cheap and well built (from what i hear

more info

Ghetto Jet said:
Guys it's 2004R.
i know that, but for some reason it comes out 200r4. go fig :confused:

·
380 Posts
stu said:
200 4R's only have one case.
One size fits all.
if your referring to the bell housing. some came with chevy bolt pattern but most did not.

·
Registered
427 Posts
All 200 4R's came with a bell housing that fits anything.
Chev. Pontiac, Olds etc.

This high performance Grand National type 200-4R comes with a larger than stock intermediate billet servo which gives firmer 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. This servo has an 11% larger apply area than the Grand National servo. It comes with the Mega Valve that raises the fluid pressure and gives a firmer shift and more holding power in all the gears, elevated pressure regulator spring, high output pump slide spring and an oversize low / reverse boost valve. These are the valves you’ve heard about. All of our high performance 200-4R transmissions come with a high performance Transgo shift kit installed and a heat treated sun gear shell. The stock seven-vane pump is replaced with a thirteen-vane high performance / high volume pump. Included is a 4th gear converter lock-up switch. The stock intermediate band is replaced with a Raybestos Pro Series Kevlar band. Also included in this package deal is a heavy-duty balanced stall converter that has furnace-brazed fins, a Sonnax carbon fiber clutch and needle bearings for added strength (#2). This stall converter can be ordered with stall speeds of 1800, 2000, 2300, 2600 or 2800 RPM and gives a faster launch than a stock converter. It also comes with a universal-fit throttle-valve cable and dip stick. The 200-4R transmission will fit all GM motors that have full size bell housings. This is a perfect choice, if you have a non-Chevy motor. You can expect a 30 to 40% increase in gas mileage (over a 3-speed) on the road. Good for motors up to 400 horse power using pump gasoline, see chart below. Add torque converter and hard shaft upgrades if needed.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Many 200-4R's have a bolt pattern for all GM models. Others were for Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac bolt pattern.

It's funny this came up, there's a write up in the newest Chevy High Performance (pg14) about making sure you find the right 200-4R for a chevy

stu said:
All of our high performance 200-4R transmissions come with a high performance Transgo shift kit installed and a heat treated sun gear shell. The stock seven-vane pump is replaced with a thirteen-vane high performance / high volume pump.

Also included in this package deal is a heavy-duty balanced stall converter that has furnace-brazed fins, a

It also comes with a universal-fit throttle-valve cable .
lol, stu where did you copy and paste that from?

·
380 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
It's funny this came up, there's a write up in the newest Chevy High Performance (pg14) about making sure you find the right 200-4R for a chevy
damn you beat me to the punch, i was goin to post that , but cant find the link on there site.

·
380 Posts
this is the pattern you will need to keep an eye out for. more info

·
Registered
427 Posts
200's came with one or the other but not both.
200 4R's were dual pattern.
The TH200-4R is identified by 10 bolt holes and 2 dowel-pin locator holes on the universal bellhousing. It has a dual bolt pattern for both Chevrolet and BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) applications. The TH200 has only six bolt holes and 2 dowel-pin holes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts