Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fresh 700r4 behind a sbc with vortec heads, rv cam, flat tops & Edelbrock carb in my Jag XJS with the Dana 2.88 rear. In OD, the rpms are 1300 and the engine bogs. If I shift into 3rd, the rpms jump to 2000, much easier for everyday driving at 60 mph. Is it safe to just leave it in 3rd for everyday driving? I don't like bogging the engine, not do I want to damage the transmission. Freeway flying is great at 80mph in OD, but not always practical, Thanks

· 1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
1,232 Posts
Third gear is 1 to 1. Straight through, probably less wear and tear than in od.. except that without lockup in 3, it's squishy, and builds more heat....but I have exactly the same drivetrain as you except for the 383 stroker in my shoebox coupe.. however I don't have an RV cam but a low torque range cam ..but I can go all over the place in od down to less than 50 without bogging down. The key is to wire your transmission to lockup in 2, 3, and 4... lockup in 3 is enjoyable..

But I just thought, have you checked your timing? You shouldn't bog till you get down to about 1,000-1,200..on a level road, 1,000 is no problem.. for THE JUDGE!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts