Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 83 chevy pickup 4 wheel drive. it had the stock motor,the 350 and the 700r4 transmission seemed to shift fine through all the gear with no hesitation. since then i rebuilt the 350,bored over .60 and with a bigger cam. i got it all hooked back up adjusted the tv cable to spec, and now it wont shift right. when you go down the road,witth your foot in the carb it seems to be ok. but if you are just kind of idling out and around it will hit all gears right into overdrive and chuggs along in a matter of seconds. if you romp on it it will down shift pretty good still. i have no idea whats wrong,ive changed fluid and filter adjusted that cable in allways possible and still no go. can someone please fill me in???

·
Registered
17 Posts
7oor4 problems

This is a problem I ran across one time, its like it just has no power in over drive at about 35 or 40 ? I had to advance my timing a degree because of the new engine idle even traveling down the road . Maybe this will help. BALDCHEV ;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
700R4 shifting problems anyone

It chuggs on light throttle upshift? When you are coasting to a stop does it feel like you were driving a stick trans and you need to push the clutch in?

These symptoms you describe,sounds like the converter clutch solenoid is plugged up.

If so this would hydraulically bring on the lock up converter.

If solenoid is bad,this would not be a tough fix.

·
Administrator
9,765 Posts
Early shifts at light throttle?

I would re-visit the TV cable adjustment........ Full pull of the cable at WOT is a place to start

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i ordered a new govenor for it the chevy guy said that could be bad, biut i havnt put it in yet. when you go down the road, it shift to soon and chuggs along in overdrive.then if you put the foot feet to the floor it will shift down then goes right back into overdrive. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
685 Posts
700R4 shifting problems

What is your max throttle 1-2 shift,from a dead stop,if you floor it until it shifts,this is max throttle upshift.

What is your max throttle 2-3 shift?

Hate to say this but............do you have access to a pressure gauge?

One more thing,you said you have adjusted cable many different ways,have these adjustments made no difference what so ever?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i went through all of this adjustment, then i talked to a guy at a shop and he said look at your wiring. the 3 prong connector hooked up but from there the wiring in gets a little messy. two wires run into a vacuum thing with the vacuum hose connected. but then are two more wires that run off those with a female two prong connector. where does this go? i know i might not know alot about this,so thanks for helping me out guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts