Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 c 1500 Silverado. Shifts in 1st, 2nd 3rd 4th/od on or b4 30 mph by lifting slightly on throttle but at 50 55 feels like it needs that one more shift. To bring the rpms back down then cruse on but wont do it. Also dont have passing gear after 4th. I have replace a new Governor, New Speed Sensor, New TV cable New fluid and filter. Dex. V1 Tried straight wiring the switch. Cut the three wires. Put 12 volts to the purple wire and tied the other 2 together. That way took out OD completely. Where it was getting od just at an around 30 mph. Can anyone tell me whats going on with this. Drove and shifted perfect for over a yr, All Help Appreciated.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Maybe the clutch in your lockup converter has gone bad.
If I remember, the valve body needs electrical work to run a switch for the lockup converter. I could be wrong though...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe the clutch in your lockup converter has gone bad.
If I remember, the valve body needs electrical work to run a switch for the lockup converter. I could be wrong though...
[/QUO Might be but when im going down the road after it goes into over drive around 30 mph i can touch the brake while holding steady on the gas you can feel it lock out as i hear my rpm rise a little then let off the brake it shift back in. However thats the last shift i get no matter the speed. 50,55,60 etc. Still has no passing gear also after it shifts out around 30 You can tell at 55 plus it needs a to shift out but it dont. I straght wired the switch on the drivers side 3 wires, Cut them and wired the blue and brown together and put 12 volts to the purple wire to a toggle switch and all that dont was and all that done was take out od all together. No matter the speed. So i just rewired it back the way it was. Im at a loss. Ine tried everything i know. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
13,774 Posts
OD on the 700R4 is not electric, those connections are for the converter lockup only. The only other electrical is the speedometer if that model uses an electric speedometer.

A most common failure on aged 700R4’s is the 3-4 clutch and or the 2nd-reverse band.

Bogie

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
749 Posts
Your description of what it's doing is unclear can you be more specific?

Why would you start cutting wires and rewiring if you didn't know exactly what you were doing?

This works .. it gives you the option of having normal lock up or lock up in 2nd 3rd and 4th or no lock up at all. If you choose to you can download and print this. Tap on the little down arrow below the picture. But for this to work you have to have a two pole 4th gear switch on the valve body..you may have it, but you may have a single pole that is grounded internally

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
749 Posts
OD on the 700R4 is not electric, those connections are for the converter lockup only. The only other electrical is the speedometer if that model uses an electric speedometer.

A most common failure on aged 700R4’s is the 3-4 clutch and or the 2nd-reverse band.

Bogie
1991 has mechanical speedo. He probably screwed things up by rewiring and cutting wires without knowing what he was doing, and canceled the lockup signal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts